six

(filler chapter- busy day, birthday is tomorrow!)

i throw on the first outfit i find in my suitcase, staring at my reflection in the full-length mirror, sighing, my self-esteem down low today.

(outfit)

i throw on the same vans shoes i wear every day, a beaten down black and white pair, strapping my apple watch band around my wrist, adjusting it to my liking.

i glance at the clock to my left, seeing the time being 11.10am, i smile, i'll have time to pick up a coffee on the way to the shelter.

grabbing my backpack, i sling it over my shoulder and walk down the birch staircase, heading to the door and grabbing my door keys.

exiting the house, i walk out of the apartment complex and to my black audi, opening the door and placing my phone against the front window.

last minute, after buckling my seatbelt, i open facetime and pull up lily's contact info, clicking call and starting my car.

'theo!' i heard the familiar girl's voice call as she picks up.

'hey lil!' i smile, giving a small wave as i reverse from the apartment parking slot.

'where are you going?' she asks, her head tilting to the side. 'you look dressed up' she finishes.

'viewing for a shelter dog, i decided i need a new family member.' i laugh at myself, watching the road carefully.

't! why didn't you tell me sooner!' she groans, finishing with 'what breed is it?'

'australian shepherd crossed with a german shepherd, i'm pretty sure.' i nod my head, looking at the line to starbucks and deciding against waiting.

't, the dog will be big, are you sure you're responsible enough? you can barely take care of yourself.' the doe eyed girl rolls her eyes, smirking.

'i need protection against the dickheads i saw the other day.' i say jokingly, groaning once i realise i haven't told her the story yet.

'dickheads?' she questions.

'elijah, noah and hunter just waltzed back into my life as if nothing happened.' i growl, turning a corner to the road where the shelter stood. 'i have to go, l.'

'okay t, we will talk about this later, i love you, keep me updated on the dog.' she blows a kiss into the phone and hangs up as i park in the empty parking lot.

i exit my car, locking it as i do, prancing towards the entrance to the adoption agency/shelter, more excited than i'd been in a while.

opening the door, the immediate smell of wet dog clouds my senses, my nose scrunching up in disgust. i'd never been to a shelter before, so i wasn't expecting the smell.

walking to the front office, i greet the receptionist.

"hi! i'm theo, here for a viewing of nova" i smile, getting one in return.

"of course, down the hall, the last turn and then first door to your left." she says, sorting out paperwork.

after thanking her, i begin my journey, nerves lacing my veins.

i walk through the corridor, head glancing side to side as i see the glass waiting rooms. to my left, there is a full waiting room with a little rottweiller puppy playing with a child.

in the right, a crying couple, probably dropping off a pet.

a frown now etched onto my face, before i can even turn left to the room i was meant to enter an unfamiliar voice calls: "theo, here to see nova?"

my head glancing up, i am met with the kind eyes of a boy just a few inches taller than me, standing at 5'8, handing me an empty sheet.

"keep this on hand, after meeting nova it's an adoption application, usually, after the application is handed in and processed, dogs are able to be collected within 3-6 working days, the dogs are fully vaccinated and neutered, they come with 2 years of vet insurance and a goody bag." he reads off of a notepad, he must say the same small speech to each client he meets.

curiosity getting the best of me, i ask "do you read that to everyone" i chuckle lightly and his head shoots up, a blush forming on his delicate freckled face, a smile on mine.

"yeah, i'm not great at social interaction, i'm here for the dogs" he replies, pointing to the dog kennels in the short distance behind us.

"i get that, hey, random, but, i just moved back here and i am going to attempt to make friends, so, if you're down, wanna catch some coffee together sometime!" a burst of confidence comes my way out of nowhere, a blush now evidently forming on my tanned cheeks.

"s-sure" he nods, looking down and then back up again, "can i have your number? not to be creepy, to plan a trip" he smiles, and i nod my head dramatically, completely forgetting to even ask.

he hands me his notepad, which i take acceptingly, writing:

+1 (226) 919-6308

theo <3 , 3pm, cafe spritz.

be there, or be square!!

i chuckle, finding myself hilarious before handing it back to him, heading inside the left door where he points.

"hey, i didn't catch your name!" i look back at the emo-haired boy.

"blake!" he replies, waving at me before walking down the hall.

blake, i think we will be good friends.