Five

He should have at least informed us about his flight, so we could help him with the needed report. If the deadline was set on Friday, oh shit, he will be needing the report tomorrow. He will be using it for the meeting tomorrow. Crap, Ashley, instead of slacking at work, you should know how to check your calendar. Great. I'm a burden to my team.

The boss said her goodbyes, and let me know that she would be going home early than her usual 8 in the evening time out of work. She also told me not to overwork and advised me to remind Levine about his flight tonight.

I want to talk things over with Levine, he should have reminded me and our team about the deadline. So at least we can submit on time or beforehand. Or it was our fault that we don't practice good time management.

I started towards our working area and found out that I was really left alone with Levine to work.

He did not lift his head to give me a look, but I was sure he made note of my presence. I couldn't find the right words to start and bring up the topic regarding his flight. He was occupied with a phone call, and there were a lot of folders on his desk.

I turned on my computer, maybe I could send him an email if I cannot personally talk to him now. But before I can start composing a message, my phone buzzed. Showing a text from my brother Aspen.

I'll pick you up. Let's meet before 7 pm?

How did he know that I was still working by this time? I did not ask him about it. I responded, agreeing to his proposal. He's being kind tonight, I wonder if there's something he wants from me. I'll think about that later, for now, I have to deal with my urgent task.

I was still contemplating on what to say, should I say it personally or send an email because I am the girl who gets nervous just by being near the guy she secretly likes.

I looked over Levine's working area and found him doing the same as me. He was done with the phone call and was now holding the phone with one hand.

"Do you want to grab some food?" he suddenly asked, with such casualness, breaking the silence.

Was this another invitation that I need to accept or end up rejecting again?

Before answering, I thought of something better to say. "I need to go before seven, if you don't mind, we could start working on the report and eat later," I paused before adding, "...if we still have time."

Levine didn't respond right away, he was still looking at me, maybe trying to read through me, or perhaps he was also thinking of something to say. Would he scold me for not doing the report? I received it on such short notice, that would be a great excuse. But he didn't seem bothered about the report, after all, he looked relaxed. Then, I was reminded of his flight.

Before he could say something in response, I brought up the topic regarding his flight. "I've spoken to Ms. Gusto awhile ago. She mentioned something about your flight tonight."

Then, I broke the gaze. I focused on my computer, pretending to read something on it. On the other hand, Levine didn't seem surprised by what I have said. He was still calm, and I was not sure of what he was doing. That's when I decided to look at him again, found him sitting on his chair, arms on both the armrest. It must have been a tough week for him.

"I was thinking of not going, but then I don't have a choice," he said, not looking at me, eyes on the ceiling, his back resting against the chair.

The way he looked now, I could say a good rest was all he needs. Having to work hard, to represent our team in a meeting, to be working with the boss, and expecting to deliver a better output was all on Levine's shoulders. Was he that good for everyone to depend on him? Or he was Ms. Gusto's apple of the eye, that's why he was given a lot of tasks.