chapter 4

Daphne walked carefully down the pathway set out for her.

The people in the pews looked at her from under their ginormous hats. she didn't know why but big events like the coronation made everyone go hat crazy. someone had a replica of the ice palace on top of his head, that couldn't be easy to carry around.

She wished she'd worn her gloves. her fingers were freezing, so she buried them deep into her skirts. through the press of the material she felt the dagger strapped to her leg, comforting.

the coronation was over quickly, easily. she stood in front of the crown, gave a heartwarming speech about the "death" of her family and death stared the council members whom she knew would disapprove of her coronation. Mira smiled through the crowd, the pink gown looked even better in sunlight. mira smirked as daphne checked her out.

after the morning party, which could never really be called a party if she was honest was over, daphne found her self hurtled from meeting to meeting. problems from the west of the kingdom to the east. some coast was being taken over by rebels, some magical forest was being burnt by bandits blah blah. daphne had easy solutions for all of them that absolutely didn't end in a war.

men made it all so hard; always violence and war to solve their problems.

make a deal with the rebels to harmlessly self govern their coast, ask why the bandits are burning the forest. they need land? give them some of the empty plots of farmland they had sitting around.

by the time daphne reached her rooms she was exhausted. she belly flopped onto her bed sighing into the rose smelling sheets. unfortunately she was immediately interrupted by a knock at the door.

master benedict and mira stood at the entrance.

" what" daphne groaned as she opened the door wider. mira placed the tray of food onto the table. it smelled delicious.

"well how was your first day" asked master benedict as a placed a stack of papers on her desk.

"you make ruling sound so difficult, why was my brother getting so much credit"

"i was told u we're fixing almost all the problems"

"mhmm" daphne had stuffed her mouth with the bread from the tray.

"first, we need you to have a royal entourage. ladies in waiting, your personal council etc" master benedict pulled the first piece of paper from the pile

"mira as a lady in waiting, get eos and his friend for personal entourage and ur my trusted advisor" daphne counted the items of her fingers, "i'll need time to think of the rest"

"that does mean mira will move into those rooms" master benedict pointed to the closed set of doors to the side, they were empty because daphne had refused company until now.

"that's fine, get the rooms cleaned tomorrow, and wait mira are you okay with this" daphne started pointedly at mira

mira looking startled nodded "it would be my absolute honour"
"and get her stuff in there tomorrow's daphne smiled at mira

"of course. also the royal family of Teta sent word, they will be visiting next month to greet the new queen and to mourn your family"

"mourning! that reminds me but the kingdom in mourning tomorrow, we had to keep today for colours"

after discussing other details master benedict bowed and left the room.