Chapter 14

"Sometimes I think about you when we eat. How I can break your bones with such ease. And tear you open to rearrange your ribs. Your heart must be so tender, your entrails so sweet. But my dear, I am such a disgusting person. I don't deserve such a treat. "

T0k0r010

***

The fever was more than present on Will's features when Hannibal looked over the man. He was damp with sweat, his cheeks flushed, his eyes bloodshot. He was trembling and shivering, twitching. He had dark rings under his eyes as if he hadn't slept in the last three days and his skin was so pale it made the rings look like bruises permanently etched into his skin.

"Hannibal?" Will asked, voice scratchy and weak when those empty blue eyes finally rested on Hannibal. "I thought that Bev was going to-"

"I was informed that she was having issues coming up with the bond or finding a bail bondsman who would pay," Hannibal explained softly, reaching out a hand to the skittish looking man. Will jumped and took a step back, looking over the outstretched palm. "I have made it perfectly clear to her that I would assist in any payment related issues. We have a meeting with a lawyer tomorrow morning."

"I..." Will inhaled deeply with another shiver, glancing around the parking lot outside of the jail. It was once again snowing and Hannibal didn't want to push Will, but it would be better to get the man inside of the car rather than have him exposed to the elements with the condition he was suffering. "I already have a public defen-"

"I have requested that my personal lawyer handle your case," Hannibal assured, stepping a little closer to Will and taking Will's arm in a gentle hold to pull Will towards the bentley. "I will hadn't all the-"

"I can't let you pay for all of this."

Hannibal guided Will over to the passenger side of the bentley, through the snow, opening up the passenger door for Will. "I will get the bonds money back when you have your trail as long as you don't skip town on me."

"Trail?" Will questioned with a tired laugh that turned immediately into a sharp coughing fit that had Will clutching at the side of the car for balance. "What trail? I'm pleading guilty. I'm the only one who could have possibly done that and memory lapse isn't enough of a defense. No judge will care if I can't remember doing something I've obviously done."

"Alana, Jack and I have been working on a defense for you."

Will's brows furrowed and he glanced over Hannibal carefully. "Beverly said that she was working on a defense."

"Then I will get a hold of her and compare notes. Please get into the car, dear boy."

Will slowly obeyed and Hannibal closed the car door before making his way to the driver's side.

His hands felt smoldering in his gloves and his chest was constricted so tightly that Hannibal was having issues breathing. He rubbed at his burning eyes that had come from lack of sleep over the last few days. The guilt had been absolutely eating him alive and he hadn't been able to stop it. He very rarely felt guilt and when he did he was able to justify it away, but in this case, he hadn't been able to. He had enough reasons to be able to justify it, but it continued to sit heavy in his chest, gut and on his shoulders to the point where he hadn't been eating either.

Hannibal climbed into the car and stared ahead at the fogging windshield for another moment or two before casting another look over the shivering man in his passenger seat. "Let's get you home," Hannibal whispered, starting the car and making sure the heater was up.

"What happened to my dogs?" Will asked, hands reaching out to the air vents most likely in hopes to warm his trembling and chilled fingers.

"Alana has been watching them for you. She said that she would keep them as long as needed," Hannibal answered, tongue heavy and sticky in his mouth. "Would you like to return to Wolf Trap or stay in my house with me?"