The Morning After *Edited*

One month left of high school and Clay was heavy in the streets, and as much as I pleaded and begged for him to graduate, he wasn’t having it. I pleaded with the principal and got Clay signed up for online classes since he had most of his credits and unbeknownst to him I was taking the courses for him.

        Prom is next week and Clay agreed to attend. I found an all-white gown that draped low in the back right before my butt. The front held one strap around my neck and a low cut all the way to my belly button with rhinestones along the drapes; the dress wasn’t a designer dress and although Clay wanted to be all designer, I didn’t need all that but of course he bought his self an all-white, Versace suit.

        “Lovey!” Clay yelled opening the door.

        “In the room doing homework!” I yelled back .

        “Come here!” I jumped up in a sports bra and his boxers on. “Lovey, please put some clothes on”, he said looking shocked.

        I turned around and threw on some sweatpants and a tank top. “Sorry” I replied. “Lovey, this is Cream, the man you saw in the black truck that night I took you home, when you first came to my house” Clay explained. “Oh yeah, nice to meet you again”. I extended my hand as he shook it.

        “Nice to meet you again pretty girl”, Cream replied and I swear something about him looks so familiar, well he and Clay did share the same eyes...maybe they're related. I quickly shook the thought;  he was an older man with smooth brown skin, tall with a muscular build compared to us and he looks old enough to be our dad.

“We are just swinging by to grab something, bae. Oh, and don’t wait up for me tonight I got shit to handle."  

        "Clay, let me talk with you for a minute” I said staring at him.

        We headed to the bedroom. “What?” he said with an attitude.

“First of all, excuse you and second of all, you've been pulling this same crap every other day. All I ask is that your home at a decent hour. It  ain't that much shit in the streets that you neglect whatever the heck I say!” I said in a serious tone.

“Is that it Lovey, because quite frankly I don’t see you paying a bill, buying groceries or putting money in either one of our hands; so, until then I provide and you sit back and enjoy the ride!” Clay yelled walking out the room and exiting the apartment. I shook my head and let a few tears drop. My heart was slowly breaking and he was drastically changing and I was going to make it my business to find a job next week.

*Text convo*

        Me: Clay I'm sorry. I just miss you. I miss us. I never want you to walk away mad. That’s not the way we handle things...I love you, please come home so we can talk.

        Clay: Lovey, you gotta chill. I’m doing this for us. I'll be home when I get home.

        Me: You're doing this for you but whatever. For what it's worth, please be safe.

*End Text Convo*

        Since Clay went full force in the streets, his attitude is vicious and he barley confides in me about anything. I just keep praying he’ll come around before I make my decision.

        It’s the day of prom; Kandy and I were headed to my car to leave school early to get our hair done. We reached the salon and Coco immediatley put me in her chair to curl my 28 inches of Brazilian hair. Kandy sat waiting as Coco opened up small talk about Clay since she was dating one of his workers.