Prologue-8 Years Earlier

It was a bright shining day in district two, 8 year old Dan Howell and 10 year old Phil Lester ran around the forest playing a rousing game of hide and seek. "I'm gonna get you Daniel!" A young red headed boy shouted after counting to ten. Dan sits up in a tree snickering at the doubts of Phil ever finding him. But in an instance Dan is alarmed when he hears sirens in the distance, he hurries down from the tree. When he reaches the ground he is whisked away by a small pale hand, it's Phil with a look of concern on his face. "Philip what's going on? "Dan squeaked, terror racing in his heart. For a moment Phil didn't answer," Philip!?"Dan shouted again as they came closer to Phil's house. "Boys inside!" Mrs. Lester shouted from the door way, the boys scuttled in and slammed the door behind them. "Mummy what's going on out there, why are the alarms going off, where's daddy and Martyn?" Phil asked with Dan shaking in fear behind him. "They'll be here soon dear." She said softly as she stroked both of the boy's little heads. Dan and Phil started to calm down a bit until there was a startling bang at the door, it was Martyn. "Mum it's the district, they got dad and Mr. Howell..."Martyn said urgently till Dan was heard,"Daddy!"Dan shouted as he burst into tears. "Dan, Dan, shush it's going to be okay." Phil cooed as he held Dan in his arms. "Stay here boys I'll be right back!" Phil's mother hollered as she went to go get her coat. Phil wanted to get up and go after her but he need to do what he was told and stay at home with Dan. Later that afternoon not only did Martyn and Mrs. Lester come back beaten and bruised, they came baring bad news, the Capitol killed many people that day, Two of them were Mr. and Mrs. Howell along with Mr. Lester. After hearing the news Phil and Dan embraced each other," Mummy! Daddy!" Dan sobbed into Phil's chest. Phil looked down at his now orphan friend and kissed his forehead and just let him cry. A couple days after the incident it was decided by the government that Dan had to be sent away to live with his Aunt Lucinda in district 5. Phil took him to the train station that day with tears in his streaming down his face, he jumped into Phil's arms," I don't want to leave you Philip you're my best friend, I love you." he said with his little high pitched voice as he buried his face in his neck. "I don't want you to leave either Dan, I love you too and I won't forget you." he sniffled before digging in his pocket and pulling out his stuffed lion, he looked down at it thoughtfully." Dan I want you to have this." Phil told him holding it out towards him, Dan looked down at the little lion with a sparkle in his eyes,"B-but Philip it's from your daddy I can't take this from you." Dan said as he handed it back to Phil. "Hm then at least take this," he replied as he took off a locket from around his neck and placed it in Dan's small palm." So you can remember me," he said, with his tongue peeking through his little smile. Dan slipped it over his head and marveled at it as he fondled it in between his fingers, "I love it Philip! "He exclaimed, throwing his arms around his neck. "Mr. Howell your train has arrived." his escort called, before Dan could leave Phil pulled him back by his hand. "Dan wait! "Phil shouted before giving him a peck on the cheek. "I love you Daniel. "He said with a faint smile, Dan returned the favor with a kiss on Phil's cheek. "I love you too Philip. "He whispered before boarding on to the train, dragging his little luggage behind with his huge grey scarf following close behind. Phil stood there waving as he watched the train trail off down the tracks, his hand dropped and he fell to his knees, sobbing at not only the loss of his father but his best friend.