Prologue

DISCLAIMER 

 This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. 

 AUTHOR'S NOTE 

 As a writer, I would like to state things in advance that my story is not affiliated to any circumstances or whatsoever, readers would probably encounter misspelled words, faulty grammars, incorrect punctuations and misused objects and names. I would like to apologize in advance. As much as possible I will do my best to make things clearly and would reflect on my actions if anything is done in a wrong manner. I would like to thank my friends who supported and gave ideas in writing. Enjoy reading Serenities!

***

Sweat stinging the eyes like tiny serpents, pouring from a gore-splattered face. There was nothing but a vortex of chaos and aggression all around, a jumble of color and violent motion.

"Lieutenant! Thirteen of us are badly injured, three are ambushed." Said commander John. I looked around seeing all of the soldiers struggling to cover themselves from the small concrete barricades, most of the 3-feet brick walls which we used to duck over are now destroyed by dozens of bullets.

I lifted my head up to look at the back when I saw other soldiers running away, "Where are they fucking going? Bunch of cowards!" I stressfully yelled. I immediately leaned back down as one of them got shot at their backs.

 There's not much time...

"Gather all the soldiers at the back, tell the medics to bring every injured person in the helicopter!" I uttered a loud call at the back.

Bombs exploded, guns rattled with bullets, citizens screaming in horror, and the wicked terrorists keeping other women and children in captive for hostage.

I do not have that much bullets, I've been in a plank position with a gun placed in a leveled rock aiming straight forward.

Shit. 

"Lieutenant, hindi pa ba tayo aalis? We only have at least fifty men left and that's not enough. Over."  Mr. Pablo called out through the walkie-talkie. 

I was in the middle of aiming one of the men, I reached out for the walkie-talkie that was on the ground, I had to halfway sit down or else I could be easily seen. "Has John did what I said? Is everyone in the helicopter now?" 

"Yes, I am sending one of my soldiers there with you, just stay put until he arrives. Over." Before I was about to decline, the the line ended.

Just as I was about to walkout of my place, a grenade rolled at my side just a few meters away from me. It exploded after the last seconds which made the air all dusty and gray. I rapidly ran inside the abandoned garage hoping no one noticed me. Just as I was about to make a call, one of my soldiers has arrived, he ran towards me checking if I was fine.

"Lieutenant, Mr. Pablo and the other soldiers are waiting for you, we have to leave in an instant." He looked at my side with a frown and worriedly said, "You have a cut on your leg!"

I winced in pain when I moved it. "Yes I know, we can't just leave like this!" 

Blood pounded in the ears, drumming to a ferocious rhythm within the helmet, making it deafening. The noise was scarcely loud enough to drown out men's cries, the screams of wounded beasts, and the thunder of steel hitting steel. The heightened, throbbing ache from the broken hand that hung trembling on the right side drowned out the pain from a dozen wounds.

There were only three bullets left on my revolver. We exchanged looks as we share the same thoughts. I looked out to peek in a shattered glass window when I got shot at my chest. I fell on the shards which came from the glasses.

"Lieutenant!" He cried out in fear. He knelt down to check up on me as I was in great pain.

"L-leave..." I assured him as I pat his hand with blood from my hands.

"I can't! Your father won't like this, I'll call for help. I'll be right back, stay there." 

What's going to happen now? Am I going to die?

My hand weakly reached out for the wound that has been spurting out blood, I placed my palm just right above when I felt an object inside the small pocket. I took it out and saw a handkerchief with her name engraved on it. A letter was neatly folded, yet a few spots of red are on it. Words were still visible.

'Ang senyales na pinakahihintay mo, ay malalaman mo kapag ika'y nakauwi na.'

Tears made my vision blurry, I closed my eyes for the last time and placed the letter on my chest as I reminisced.

Aking binibini, pasensya na.

________________________________________________________________________________