King of Thieves

Taylor Russell

Friday, December 30, 2011

King of Thieves

Once there was a king. He was the king of thieves. He was better than every other thief in the world. He could steal any thing he wanted, without getting caught. He once stole an entire city's jewels. He once stole a god's goose. He once stole the sun, the moon, and the stars. But there was one time he had not succeeded. This, is the story of when he stole a girls heart.

This, is that story.

Chapter 1

"Oh, come on! You know that Peeta is better. Will you admit it if I give you cookies?" My best friend has been trying to bribe me ever since our argument on the best boy in our favorite series, Hunger Games.

"Sorry, Cris; I just have my vote on Gale. I can't help it; he's a heartthrob!" I say in a dreamy voice mocking my friends tone.

She gives me a playful glare as we walk through the halls of the school. We turn the corner to find some conceited, pig headed jerk leaning against my locker. We immediately slow our pace, putting some distance between us.

"Hey, Mucus-"

He interrupts me. "It's Marcus."

"Like I care. I need to put my bag in there; can you move? And I'm pretty sure your slutty friends are down the hall a ways!" I call to him. "Sorry, Cris," I mutter.

"Yeah, sorry, Cris," he says.

"That's Cristine to you," my friend says in a hostile tone. This immediately makes me proud. Cris is what you would call bittersweet. She is completely and utterly nice, unless you're an inconsiderate dweeb. Like Mucus here. Or our head cheerleader, Chloe. Speak of the devil, or should I say she-devil.

"Marcus baby, I thought you were coming to get lunch with us?" Chloe-the-gag-me-doll says. She has one of those voices that always sound like they're whining and make you want to smack the owner anytime they open their mouth.

"I'd be surprised if you even ate," I mumble under my breath.

"What was that, loser?" again with the voice.

"Nothing, I was just saying how Marcus here was just leaving!" I say in a cheerful voice. I may be anti-popular but I know where the line is drawn. Besides I'm just trying to survive high school so I can get out of this place.

As whiney-voice drags him away, Mucus winks at me and calls out, "See you later, Gemini!"

I just roll my eyes and open my locker. I can feel Cris's eyes on me as I shove my bag into my locker, check my ponytail in the mirror that I hung on my door, and slam the door shut. We start to walk towards the cafeteria and the normally talkative Cris is still just staring at me. "What?" I ask.

Cris immediately looks strait ahead with a smirk on her face, "Nothing, nothing at all."

That was weird. I try to shake it off and grab a plate and utensils. "Hey, you know those Geico commercials with the gecko?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?"

"I don't know. They just haven't played one of those in forever." I say.

"I know right?"

This just takes us into our commercial talk (completely bond-worthy in my opinion) until I remember something. "Hey, where's Cat?"

"Oh, she said she had to go to the choir room for some something or other," Cris waves her fork in the air dismissively.

"Hmmm," I is the only thing I say before we slip off into our own little worlds. One of the things I love most about Cris is that we don't need to talk. We can just sit and be best friends. We finish our lunch over meaningless gossip and throw the flimsy paper plates in the trash can when I see that there's only ten minutes until lunch is over.

We are about to get up and head to our lockers when a shadow crosses over our table. I look up, "What are you doing here, Mucus?"

"Well, Zoey-"

"I don't even like Chloe, but really? You can't even remember her name?" I ask as he sits down.

"One, it's Marcus. And two, she left to go stuff her bra. Besides, I would much rather talk with you," He smiles his hundred watt smile. I just look at him in disbelief. "You're pretty hot-"

"I'm not sure that's a compliment."

"I was wondering if you wanted to come over to my place for a while and hang out?" He asks.

"Uh, no thanks. I think I'm good." I say in a mock sweet voice.

"Oh, come on. You know you want to," he sings.

I look at Cris. "Can you believe this guy?" I ask.