Intruder

I was kind of glad Striker hadn't agreed to come home with me. My house was a mess. Muddy work clothes littered the hall from this afternoon when I stripped down to get ready to go out with my so-called friends. A saddle I had been busy cleaning up sat in my living room and there was a week's worth of laundry waiting to be folded in the bedroom. 

Basking in tonight's memories, I hummed to myself as I made my way into the kitchen. Standing at the sink, I looked out the window towards the drive. The shadows of the barn and a shed came into focus as a dark car pulled into the driveway.

"What the hell?" I muttered, watching as a figure in a suit stepped out. When I saw him begin up the steps to the porch, I reached for my purse and drew my revolver. 

My heart hammering in my chest as I made sure it was loaded. This is what had gotten me thrown into hell in the first place. Shaking my head, I tried to banish those ghosts for the time being. 

A sharp banging on my door made me jump. Sidling up to the door, I said, "Who the hell is it?"

"I'm an associate of Mr. Baring," A gruff voice replied, "He sent me to discuss the sale."

Regenold Baring was an oil tycoon who had made as much of a fortune in Hell as he did on Earth. For the past month, he had set his sights on my farm and had made several offers for it. Of course, I had refused. This only made him take more...drastic...measures. 

"Like I told the bastard you sent after you killed my chickens," I spat, "Tell your boss he can go fuck himself! Now, get the hell off my property!"

There was a moment of silence before the suit kicked in my door, shattering it into splinters. My instincts kicked in and before he could get completely get through the doorway, I raised my gun and fired.