Chalter Four: Mistakes and Misunderstandings

It was Saturday, which meant it was time for the Sophomore Sleepover. I didn't really want to go, but Brodie insisted and bribed me with booze. How could I say no?

I was wearing a pair of tight-fitting, black and red checkered pajama bottoms and a black spaghetti strap tank top, paired with my black Converse. I was waiting for Matt to show up since we were going to go together.

I made sure I had my phone and headed downstairs into the living room to wait for Matt. A while later, he walked in and threw a shirt at me.

"I got the shirt you wanted," he said as he sat down.

"Thanks," I replied, hugging him.

I had asked him to bring one of his shirts for the sleepover. It was a black, faded AC/DC shirt, and it was way too big for me. I stood up and put it on over my tank top, and I noticed Matt giving me a strange look.

"What?" I asked, brushing my hair down.

"Nothing," he shook his head.

"Do you even like this band?" | inquired, looking down at the shirt.

"Yes," he replied.

"Name five of their songs," | challenged.

"Yeah, I'm not doing that." Matt rolled his eyes.

"Poser." I teased with a smile. "Should we just get an Uber? I can't be bothered to walk."

"Sure," he nodded, getting up.

Fifteen minutes later, we arrived at school (something | never thought l'd say on a Saturday). We went over to Ellen, Ginny's mom, and Norah's mom, to get our wristbands.

"Oh, Mrs. Baker, was my dad able to get you the money?" I asked.

"He sure was, it's all there," she replied, handing me a wristband.

"Thank you," I smiled and waited for Matt.

We got inside, and I'm not going to lie, the gym looked pretty cool. We found Hunter, Jordan, and Brodie and went over to them. Matt, for some reason, grabbed my hand and dragged me through the crowds of people.

"I know how to walk, you know," I told him, but he ignored me.

"You're here!" Brodie gasped.

"Yep," I laughed and hugged him. We all talked until Hunter spotted the girls, so we walked over to them.

I watched as Abby took some of Matt's popcorn, which led to her flirting with him. I furrowed my brows at the unexplained feeling in the pit of my stomach. I tried to ignore it as we all went into the center of the gym to dance.

Brodie could tell something was off. He didn't ask about it but instead grabbed my hands and made me dance with him.

"Come on, let's go get a drink," Brodie said.

"Okay," I replied and let him drag me over to where the sodas were.

"Is everything okay?" he asked as I opened my drink.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Are you sure?" he questioned again, clearly not convinced.

"Yes, everything is fine," I assured with a smile.

Brodie gasped loudly as "Cupid Shuffle" came on. He dragged me back over to our friends, and we started dancing to the song. It lifted my spirits, and Brodie could tell.

"Hey, guys?" Jordan called out. "You want to have a drink?"

"Yes," I quickly replied.

Jordan motioned for us to follow him, and Brodie, Matt, Norah, Abby, and I went into an English classroom where no one would disturb us.