5- Roscoe

"You've got your work cut out for you," Lindsay panted heavily, acting as if she had just got done running for her dear life.

"Well, hello to you too."

She took a deep breath before saying, "I'm sorry. Hi. Can I come inside? Or were you getting ready to head out?"

"I wasn't planning on going anywhere. Is everything okay? You seem out of breath," I said, opening the door wider for her, wondering why she was acting strange.

She walked in, then stood by the door, crossing her arms. "I'm okay. I was hurrying to get here to tell you what I know." She had a look on her face, telling me I might not like hearing what she came here to say.

"You don't have to stand at the door looking at me like that. Why don't you come in and relax?"

"Can we sit at the table? If we sat on the couch, it might make me want to jump your bones," she said, surprising me. Then her eyes widened like giant saucers. "I'm only kidding. I honestly didn't mean for that to come out of my mouth," she added quickly.

I laughed while extending my hand to the backside of her shoulder. "I didn't think you meant to say what you did, especially when your eyes widened once you realized what you'd said."

As I led her to the table, she snorted, "I'm sorry. You'll have to excuse me. I've had a few alcoholic beverages, so words just sort of flow out of my mouth unexpectedly."

I cocked a brow. "You've been drinking, and you drove here? If that's the case, you might as well stay here until you sober up."

"I only had three vodka cranberries. But that was a couple of hours ago. And I drank numerous glasses of water before leaving the bar. So, no need for me to stay," Lindsay admitted, pulling out a chair and sitting.

"Well, the offer is still there. I'd rather see you stay here and be safe. I don't want you driving if you've been drinking," I said sternly.

"Seriously, I'm good. Anyway, my brother told me where I could find Sawyer. So I got the girls together, and we headed to where she worked and had some drinks-making it look like we were there to enjoy ourselves and not for the reason I was."

Now she has my full utmost attention.

I pulled out a chair, placed it before Lindsay, and sat. Smiling, I eagerly asked, "And? What did she have to say?"

She took a deep breath, then blew it out. "As I said when I first got here, you've got your work cut out for you."

My eyebrows drew together. "Why?"

I studied her eyes as she nervously tapped her fingers on the table. And that's making me nervous. How Lindsay is acting makes it look like the girl my dick has been aching to get a taste of since she entered my shop might already be taken by another man.

Fuck...

"How about I start with the good news?"

"Yes, let's start with that."

"She's single."

My heart stopped racing, and I somewhat relaxed. But because there's more Lindsay wants to say, my body remained stiff-waiting to hear the bad news. "I do like hearing that. But you have a look on your face that says that's the only good news. And I'm not about to like what you have to say next."

Her head slowly shook. "No. That's why I said you've got some work to do. And I'm not so sure you want to get involved with her."

I let out a long breath of air. "I'm pretty good at fixing things. So why don't you just hit me with what you came here to tell me?"