Day 7

I met the manager at the escalator outside the train station. He had a stubble on his chin, making him look older than he probably was. He spoke to me like he had rehearsed the same speech a thousand times. "Here's the can. Return it by six pm when we meet back here. Glossy stickers are one dollar each, and badges are five dollars." He handed me a paper bag with everything inside. 'Did you catch that?" I nodded.
    "Wait - How do I ask for donations?"
    He rubbed the side of his neck. "Just... ask them, tell them about what they're donating to." I remembered memorising the 'DONATE' section of their website. And the articles I've read about patients receiving life saving bone marrow donations.
    "Okay."
    I turned to leave, because he'd started packing up his things as well.
"Wait. Don't go yet."
    I looked back at the manager.
    "This is your first time volunteering, right?"
    I nodded.
    "You'll be going with someone... But I think he's late today. Do you mind waiting?"
    I sighed. What now? He led me to the side of the pathway to wait. I checked my watch. Twelve am. I don't think I could last until six, especially if it meant I had to work with someone else.
    I stood, looking at the gantry, where business men and women walked through the gates, heading in all directions. The manager stood awkwardly beside me, checking his phone, while I just watched the crowd moving in a perpetual, fluid motion. The beep of the machines. The shuffling of feet. How many trains stopped in this train station everyday? I continued staring at the crowd, hoping, for some reason, I'd be able to spot my partner.
    A faint figure walked towards us, with a slight skip in his step. Warm, black hair, polo tee. A dimpled smile.
    A familiar voice. "Hey, sorry I'm late."
    He hadn't seen me yet. I don't think he would have expected me to be there, anyway. He hadn't gone out but he already had sweat sparkling in his hair. I smiled.
    "It's fine, Benjamin. We weren't waiting for long."

THE END