Éowyn's First Love

Life in Edoras was the same everyday for Eowyn, and her lady's maid, Ethelfled, but this day had one notable exception. 

Ethelfled woke up one hour before Eowyn did, and walked over to an elegant chaise lounge where the Lady of Rohan slept.

"Oh, Ethelfled, is it morning already?" Eowyn asked with a yawn, picking her head off the pillow as she heard the tray gently graze the floor.

"Yes, my lady." Ethelfled said with a small curtsy. 

"Is my uncle awake yet?" Eowyn asked as she shakily began to stand up.

"No, Theoden King stills rests, my lady." Ethelfled wrapped a cloak around Eowyn's shoulders as she began to eat. However, when Ethelfled picked her hands off of Eowyn's shoulders, her cold, slender hands rushed to touch them, and squeezed them. Eowyn then turned around and looked into her eyes. Ethelfled gasped, a woman as high ranking as a Lady of Rohan gently caressed her maid's hands, and gazed longingly into her eyes.

"I will dress myself today, Ethelfled." Eowyn said abruptly, rushed, immediately breaking eye contact, and Ethelfled obeyed, shakily beginning to exit the room, her heart pounding. "Please tell me when my uncle wakes."

Eowyn spent the first hours of the day waiting on her decrepit uncle. However, Ethelfled was always there, lurking in the shadows casually keeping an eye on the young maiden. Ethelfled had very specific instructions given to her by Eowyn. 

There was something that caught Ethelfled's eye. Eowyn was practicing her swords, swinging them around when her uncle was asleep. This was normal, Ethelfled would frequently hear Eowyn's wishes for glory, to fight and die on the battlefield. However, Ethelfled's senses heightened when she saw Grima Wormtongue lurking in the shadows.

Ethelfled enjoyed watching Eowyn's practice, but when she saw Grima approach her, Ethelfled's face fell. Grima gently tried to take the sword away from Eowyn, but she whipped around and held on tight. When Grima's cold hand tried to brush Eowyn's cheek, Ethelfled ran out of the shadows and Grima's eyes widened. An instant look of relief washed over her face.

"My, my, my lady," Ethelfled tried to stammer out. "A messenger has brought a letter from your brother, Lord Eomer."

"Oh, thank you, Ethelfled." Eowyn said as she hiked up her skirt and quickly scurried out of the great hall. Ethelfled followed behind her. Eowyn ran out the two giant doors, and stood on the stone balcony overlooking Edoras. Eowyn slowly turned around when she heard Ethelfled's footsteps, with tears running down her face.

"My lady," Ethelfled gasped in shock. 

"Ethelfled, I..." Eowyn tried to say. "You know what I am about to say."

"You wish to fight, you wish to be free of Wormtongue's grip, you wish your uncle were as strong as he once was, you wish..." Ethelfled continued.

"I wish for all that, yes, but I also wish for you." Eowyn said, still looking over Edoras. Ethelfled's eyes widened as Eowyn turned around and walked close to her. "You've always been there for me, when I envy Eomer, when I wait on my uncle, when that snake haunts my every step!" Eowyn then whipped her head to the two large doors which were cracked open. Though it was far away, Eowyn saw her uncle was awake. "Your kindness, your raven hair, your warmth to my cold." Eowyn gently brushed Ethelfled's dark hair behind her ear before rushing inside. 

Ethelfled didn't see Eowyn until that night. Every night, sometimes the earliest in the morning, Eowyn would wake up, usually a nightmare. It was up to Ethelfled to calm Eowyn down. Ethelfled would wait near Eowyn's chaise lounge for any signs of trouble.

It was around two in the morning. Ethelfled has been attempting to take little naps throughout the night. However, Ethelfled saw Eowyn slowly lift her head and began to look around. 

"Ethelfled, Ethelfled, Ethelfled." Eowyn tiredly began to call. Ethelfled ran to her side, kneeling in front of her. Eowyn reached a cold, shaky hand out to Ethelfled, who took it and brushed it against her cheek. 

"Are you alright, my Lady?" Ethelfled asked. Eowyn shook her head, her eyes were puffy, droopy, and dark.

"I reached for a sword, and a cage formed around me." Eowyn began. "My body withered away before my eyes as vision of glory flashed before my eyes, so close, yet always out of reach. I could hear Grima's horrid laugh, and I saw my brother and screamed for him and he didn't even look up, I..." Eowyn's face was hard and emotionless, but when she looked at Ethelfled she had a small smile. "Lie next to me." She said.

"What do you mean, my Lady?" Asked Ethelfled. Her heart was beating fast. Eowyn simply moved closer to the back of her chaise lounge, leaving enough room for another person. Eowyn was so tired she could barely move. "Sleep now, my lady." Ethelfled said as Eowyn closed her eyes, and Ethelfled climbed next to her. 

Ethelfled couldn't help but smile, a truly happy smile, her cheeks turned bright pink, and she felt butterflies in her stomach. It was a feeling she hadn't felt before, a feeling she thought she could only feel for men, but she was feeling them for Eowyn.

"I love you." Eowyn said.