Chapter 2

Harry stared across the Great Hall, spacing out. He fidgeted with his fork on his plate with his right hand, feeling too sick to eat. Harry made sure to keep his left hand hidden in his lap throughout breakfast. His mind was too busy thinking about Umbridge's threat, which he couldn't seem to get out of his head.

"-so like I was saying, I- Harry? Harryyyyyy. Harry!" Hermione waved her hand in front of Harry's face, snapping him out of his trance.

"What?" Harry asked, confusedly. Hermione sighed. 

"Honestly, both of you have the attention span of a teaspoon." She said, looking at Ron, who was focused on his food. Ron looked up.

"Come on Hermione, it's breakfast! Besides, O.W.L.S aren't for ages!" Hermione sighed in frustration. 

"You say that now Ronald, but watch, before you know it, they're going to be next week." Hermione said as Harry began to space out again. He wasn't thinking about anything in particular this time, so his eyes started darting across the Hall. 

Harry casually looked over at the Slytherin table, unconsciously scanning it. As he looked at everyone, he saw someone else also staring in his direction, though his eyes had passed over him. Harry blinked his eyes to make sure he wasn't seeing things. At the Slytherin table, a boy with blond hair was staring at someone at the Gryffindor table. As he tried to locate him again, the boy was turned to the side in a different direction. Harry observed him a bit more, trying to see who it was.

Blond hair... 

Isn't that Malf-

"Harry? Are you listening?" Harry looked across and next to him to see his two best friends staring at him in concern.

"Sorry guys, I think I'm still tired or something. What were you saying?" He asked.

"Are you sure you're alright mate?" Ron asked with a worried look on his face.

"Yeah- why?" Ron shrugged. 

"You just seem... off I guess." 

"Oh, yeah no I'm fine." Harry tried to reassure him.

"Alright. Well, anyways-"

/*** /*** /***

Draco quickly turned around, trying to seem as inconspicuous as possible, Pansy, sensing him move behind her, turned around.

"What are you-" She looked over at the Gryffindor table. 

"Ohhh, you were looking at Potter again weren't you?" Pansy teased him.

"Quit it Parkinson. I don't need your input." Draco said, annoyed.

"Ok Malfoy, damn. What's got you all riled up?" Pansy asked. Draco sighed.

"He never notices me! Is there something I'm doing wrong?" He asked rhetorically.

"You've been bullying him for five years." Pansy pointed out.

"What? Have not!" Draco defended. Pansy gave him a look. 

"I haven't! Why are you looking at me like that?" 

"Are we talking about Draco's terrible flirting skills?" Blaise asked, appearing out of nowhere. Draco groaned.

"You're gonna talk about bullying when you two do this to me?" The blond complained.

"Oh shut up you big baby. You want to listen or do you want to pine after golden boy forever?" Pansy said. Draco immediately shut up and started paying attention.

"That's what I thought. Well, if you want to have any chance, you should try to 'make amends' or whatever. Become friends." Pansy suggested.

"So... sit in a tree again?" Pansy hit Draco over the head with the Daily Prophet.