The Watchdog and The Hand

Edmund's pov

"My lord, may I speak freely?" Lucifer asked as I finished my breakfast.

"Yes," I replied, frowning.

"The Queen's letter instructed us to work alongside Earl Phantomhive to solve the case, but I believe that if you were to meet such an influential noble, you would establish a relationship which would prove useful in the future. So how do you plan to do that this time?" Lucifer asked.

"You're right. I always form relationships with people who may be useful for me, and I always keep those relationships alive. Ciel Phantomhive will be no exception; in fact, I already have a proposition in mind for him." I said.

"Oh, what might that be, my lord?" Lucifer asked with a knowing smile.

"Something of mutual benefit," I replied, getting up from the table.

Ciel's pov

The carriage stopped in front of the Aster estate. I stepped out, followed by Sebastian, and took a moment to observe the estate. It was rather impressive, completely painted in white, a five-storey building, with twin stairs leading to a pair of ornate doors, which were on the first floor.

Beyond those doors is Earl Edmund Aster, I thought.

I started climbing the stairs to the estate when suddenly the doors were thrown open. A black eyed dignified older man with thick, but greying, hair and a similar beard was standing at the entrance. From his clothes -- a white shirt, grey vest, black tailcoat and white gloves -- I assumed that he was either the butler or steward of the estate.

"Lord Phantomhive, we have been expecting you," he said, "Please follow me, the young master is waiting for you."

I nodded.

He led us through a grand foyer, which was filled with paintings and statues and had a giant chandelier in the centre of the ceiling, and onto the second floor. After a series of turns, we finally stopped outside a door and the Aster servant knocked.

"Yes?" someone from inside the room asked.

"My lord, the guests are here." our escort replied.

"Bring them in, Vasco." the person said.

Our escort, whose name I just learned is Vasco, opened the door and led us into the room. Inside, there were three people, a boy of around my age was seated behind a giant desk, while a man and a woman were standing on either side of him.

The boy was wearing a white shirt, black tie, navy blue vest, suit and pants -- clothes befitting a noble. His brown eyes moved from me to Sebastian with a smile.

The man on his right side was dressed similarly to Vasco, but unlike Vasco --who was of average height and had a bit of a plump physique-- he was tall and lean, with piercing electric blue eyes and jet black hair.

The woman had silver hair and had matching grey eyes. She was wearing a short black frock, white apron, gloves and stockings and black shoes. Based on her clothes, I decided that she must be the maid.

"Lord Phantomhive, I am Earl Edmund Aster, and this is my butler, Lucifer Vindicta," Earl Edmund said while gesturing towards the man on his right, "and this is Virgo Altor, my maid. And you have already met my steward, Vasco Tutela."

"A pleasure to meet you, Earl Aster. I am Earl Ciel Phantomhive and this is Sebastian Michaelis, my butler." I said.

Earl Aster smiled, "It's a pleasure to meet you as well. I've heard much about the Queen's Watchdog from my sources in the underworld. I have to admit, I was quite impressed. Which is why, after our job is done, I have a proposition for you -- something of mutual benefit for both of us."

"Well, if it's beneficial for me, I'd like to hear it right away," I replied.

The earl raised an eyebrow, "Very well, the proposition is simple. You see, I know a lot of people. You may have been involved in the underworld for a longer time than me, but I have many influential contacts, people who know things -- secrets -- in both the high and low places of society. I am willing to introduce you to them, but I want you to do the same in return. What I mean is, I want to be an aristocrat of evil."

I was quite shocked to find out that he knew about the aristocrats, but I immediately masked my expression.

"You do realise that what you're asking for won't happen unless you're contacts are equally valuable to the aristocrats, right?" I replied.

Earl Aster smirked -- like he had expected me to say just that.

"What do you think about having someone loyal to you in the Scotland Yard? Or better yet, a personal friend who knows every single person in the underworld?" Edmund Aster asked.

A personal friend who knows everyone in the underworld? That kind of information should never be in the hands of a single person! I thought.

"I need some time to consider your offer. I'll make a decision when we finish the case." I said.

"Very well," Earl Aster said while standing up, "Then how about we get started?"

I raised an eyebrow, "How exactly do we get started?"

"We're going to the Swann Estate." Earl Aster replied.