The Trickiest Language

(Note: This is a basic background on the character I portray you to be. Apologies if it drags on a bit and if it is not to your tastes. Lastly, feel free to comment! *Cover picture is not owned or done by me, also, I do not known Kuroko No Basket, Akashi Seijuro, or you, I merely own the plot.)        

        Thinking that you’re special is merely a mistake, because you knew you were not. Your positive personality was one way that you used to distract yourself from the fact that you came from a very disorganized family. Usually rich families were the ones that were in disarray, but whatever being created you and the earth around you seemed to very keen to make your life as horrendous as possible. See, you came from an average family that somehow managed to maintain a very large home that would suggest that you were wealthy; however, once inside, there was no furniture in any of the extra rooms and there were no servants to keep the place spot-less. That also meant that on your spare time you had to clean and tidy up the place once a week (which did take you an entire day due to the size).

    The next issue was your family.

    You never got along with your mother and her father was as distant from you as cat would be from a dog. Your aunt and uncle never quite liked you and, honestly, preferred your older brother over you. The only family members you had that you could tolerate were your grandparents, but they had died just a few days  ago. That landed to where you were right now.

        “. . .and they are the only piece of family I had that accepted me fully,” were the last words that left your lips and carefully exited the small, raised podium behind the two coffins that held both of your grandparents’ bodies.  Of course, that last sentence did not send a ripple of shock through your parents or anyone else gathered that were biologically related to you.

    Not that it mattered now, anyway. They had already decided to send you Japan for the rest of your high school years. Luckily, due to your intelligence and diligence, you got a full-ride scholarship to Rakuzan. Of course, that meant actually living on your own and maintaining yourself. It would not be a pleasure-filled time for you, but it was some freedom - and you merely wanted to be out of your parents grasp as much as they wanted you to simply disappear.

    The only thing that worried you was the language.

    Japanese was one of the trickiest languages in your mind, and, despite studying it for three years, you could just barely speak it. You understood it perfectly, but. . . replying will be troublesome. You had another three days to learn the language and memorize where your apartment was located, but that didn’t seem like enough.

    Your friends (well, they were saddened to see you go, but you knew that they were relieved to be free of your charismatic presence) were going to be left behind as none of them would want to leave their comfortable and carefree life to one that they had to maintain. You would be getting a job and maintaining your rent and food, and they would have to do the same. Plus, none of them seemed to know even a small amount of the Japanese language.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        At the closing of the funeral, your family excused themselves in order to go back to their busy lives that seemed to be much more important than watching a family member be lowered in a grave - where they would stay and rot for countless centuries. This thought bothered you, personally, and you wanted to stay to say your final and private goodbye to the couple that mainly raised you to be what you grew up to be. However, bringing up the issue would only result in your parents shunning you and your older brother teasing you mercilessly about your “soft side showing”, so you simple kept her mouth closed and trailed behind your “pack.”

        Once in the car, your mind wandered over to what challenges awaited you once you arrived in Japan and how you would fit into a high school that had completely different customs than your own.

        Freedom was all that mattered when it came down the core, so you would somehow manage to survive for four years in the foreign country.

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        The next few days passed by quickly, and you were soon on your way to the airport with your [color] suitcase trailing behind you. Your parents managed to get you onto first class, and said to consider it a gift, but you merely thought it to be a gift that stated how much they wanted you out of their lives already.

        The routine of getting onto the plane and getting through security was rather dull, but it went by quickly. Before you knew it, you were sitting comfortably in the first class seat, a white blanket draped over you since getting up early was not your forte. Grogginess clawed at you till your mind finally gave in and allowed a deep slumber to take over you.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        The flight lasted for eleven hours so you would arrive at five in the evening in the foreign country. School starting the day next would mean getting over jet lag in a relatively short amount of time.

        Someone shaking your shoulder made you wake up from the blissful slumber, which seemed to have lasted till the end of the flight (taking an eleven hour nap would mean not sleeping properly for the next day or so, but you refuse to think about that).

        “We arrived at Kyoto, Japan, miss,” the flight attendant told you with a gentle smile, but there was some annoyance shining in her blue eyes.

        “Ah, t-thank you,” you mumbled in response as you quickly (yet groggily) grabbed your things and exited the plane.

        As soon as you were out of the terminal and heading to the baggage arrival area, you got your first taste of Japan, and that left you terrified since it was a large country that you knew almost nothing about. The fact that some of the wandering passerbies glanced at you did not make your impression of the country any better; however, you merely smiled at them as if to say that you were not troubled or out of your element, just merely an American studying in Japan for awhile. That wasn’t so odd, was it?

        Aside from those incidents, you grabbed your suitcase from the conveyer belt and headed toward the exit, struggling slightly since there was a surge of business men stepping into the airport at that time.

        No one bothered to help you, but you were quite used to that so it did not personally bug you. Plus, your luggage and your body type gave it away that you were American, and you supposed that there were many stereotypes about your origin here.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        By some miracle, you managed to find your way to your apartment, which seemed to be located near the high school you had been transferred to.

        The key to your temporary living arrangements was tucked under the welcome mat that you assumed your older brother had bought for you, and you quietly slipped into the peaceful and serene environment.

        Now, all that was left to do was to unpack and brush up on Rakuzan High School’s history and also to try to learn some more japanese while you had the time to do so.