Chapter 23: Finding Christopher

"Joel, slow the heck down. I've got no idea how you use this thing," Erick yelled, rapidly flicking his new teal green tail behind him as he tried to power along.

Richard sighed, looking back at his own orange one, "Now I understand how Chris felt when he got his legs for the first time. This is tough."

Joel let out a groan. It was great that his two friends had temporarily gained the power to transform into mermen too, but it was tough. Both could swim well with legs. Yet it was like starting at square one having to teach them how to use the tails. He'd already spent an entire hour showing them how to use it. They were getting better, but their complaining and movements said otherwise. It almost felt like the universe was getting revenge on him for having Chris teach him.

"You just need to keep putting power into flicking your tail. It's just like legs," Joel told them as if he was an expert as the two struggled to swim straight and long distance.

"You have no idea. It's nothing like swimming with legs," Richard grumbled, flicking the tail in frustration. "It's like swimming with two legs glued together."

"Hey, but at least we can breathe under water," Erick grinned at him.

"True," Richard agreed with a nod. "And talk, too."

They kept at it though and Richard and Erick were much better at it by the time the three of them could see the kingdom in the distance.

"It's over there," Joel pointed towards it. Though he noticed today that he could see dozens upon dozens of small pods of mermaids heading towards the city. What his mother had said about anyone who's anyone being there wasn't a lie. It had been crowded in the streets enough yesterday. The kingdom was truly a magical sight, something out of a Disney movie or a fairy tale.

"Wow, so this is where Chris is really from? Fancy," Richard gasped, his eyes inspecting the city in shock.

"He is a prince, remember?" Erick rolled his eyes. He turned to Joel. "So where do we get in?"

Joel scanned the area. They could blend in with the people entering through the main gates to the palace, though up ahead, he could see the guards seemed to be checking each of the guests quite thoroughly. They'd never get in that way the way they had yesterday. Besides, he'd had Luna and Chris with him then. They simply could make it past for being them. He was sure the guards would have even been warned about him. They probably even had orders not to let him in. If he used magic to get past them, it would cause even more of a problem. They'd think he was an intruder or someone trying to storm the palace.

"Well first we need to get past the palace gates. But there's no way the guards will let us in there on our own, even though you two both look like mermen. Besides, if any of them recognize me, then it'll be game over," Joel explained to them both.

Erick grinned, seeming to have no problem with Joel's words. "Guards? Come on, Joel. We came all this way. Surely we can think of a way to get past the guards."

Erick thought they'd have to find an opening in the gate somewhere. So the three of them swam the entire circumference of the palace. Unfortunately, there was no other opening other than the palace gates. Joel let out a sigh. This was hopeless. He was never going to see Chris again.

"Don't be discouraged Joel. We'll find a way inside," Richard assured him.

Both Joel and Richard looked around, realizing that Erick was no longer with them. Joel looked over, seeing that Erick had swam on further ahead. Richard and Joel exchanged worried glances.

"Erick, what are you doing?" Richard called after him, as they chased him.

Erick didn't stop though. He simply ushered them to follow him. He continued to swim towards a large group of merpeople that were swimming behind someone carrying a tour flag. Joel couldn't help but be amused for a moment that they had them here as well. They were lined up in front of the palace gates, the guard scanning over them. Erick pulled them both into the center of the group. A few of the merpeople shot them filthy looks but no one seemed to say anything.