- 2 -

CHAPTER 02

Behind the Glass

The mirror throws her out. On an impulse, she hugs her knees before she stumbles onto the floor. Her head smacks to the wood.

"Ouch!" she whines. She winces as she lay a hand on the affected part.

It takes her minutes to shift from her lying position.  Sitting, she realizes that the handkerchief wrapped around her left foot is not already there. The injury healed and the pain in her head did not last long.

She glances at her back and sees a mirror leaning on the wooden wall. It is a carbon copy of the magical-mirror-portal that appeared from her room's mirror; except it's not glowing. She spits the strands of hair on her lips and stares at her reflection.

How and why did you bring me here? Whose voice was that?  She steps out of her trance, thinking it's pointless to ask a lifeless mirror.

She wanders her eyes around the old-fashioned house, but she soon finds out it's actually a cabin. She stands and roams around. Her family, counting her cousins and their parents, wouldn't fit inside. The wooden floors and walls are of lighter color. Aurora brushes her hands on the things she passes to. A single bed, drawer, retro white stove, refrigerator, table, four stool chairs and scented candles. She comes into a halt as her eyes land on the row of medical kits placed on a hanging shelf.

The soft exchange of laughter from the outside grabs her attention from the kits. Panicking, she runs towards a grandfather clock standing on one corner. She is hiding but she follows her urge to peek at the door. A wreath hangs on the center. The knob turns, making her heart race fast.

A fair looking maiden, whom she thought to be in her 20s, shows up with two little folks. Her hair is the same color as Aurora's, and is shoulder-length. It has a slightly rolled bottom and is pulled one side back with a white hair scarf. She has short bangs. The maiden's cream floral dress reach her ankles. Her outfit makes Aurora glance at her casual sweater and leggings.

Aurora's eyes grow wide—beginning to recognize her familiar features. She believes the beautiful maiden to be her great-great grandmother.

The blonde little girl is holding the hand of the little boy, her younger brother. They sway their hands as they walk towards the table. "Is it okay to sit here, ma'am?" the girl asks in a shy voice.

Althea laughs and answers, "Oh why, of course my dear..." She opens her cabin's curtains. " ...and you can call me Althea by the way." Aurora's gaze turns steadfast. That's when she confirms she is in the past, in her honored ancestor's place.

Questions barge into Aurora's mind. Was I brought here because I broke Althea's amber glass? Does she have anything to do with the mirror portal? Is she holding a grudge against me? That's why I'm here!? And can she and the kids see me?

Althea heads to the refrigerator. Aurora takes the chance to figure out the answer for the latter question. She makes a step to her right. She sidles away from the grandfather's clock. "

"Hey," Aurora calls the blonde girl in a whispering tone.

The one being called doesn't notice her. Wanting to make sure, she pokes the girl's shoulder. The latter continues playing thumb wrestling with her brother—not bothered at all. Aurora confirms the kids are oblivious of her existence.  She doesn't know if it's something to be relieved of or to be worried of.

On the bright side, she can freely move without people wondering why she's there; whereas on the not-bright side, she might need them to get back to the present time.