Prologue

Luna sat on a marble bench in the rose garden. She looked around, the scent of roses filling her nose. She closed her eyes and went into her own mind. She saw herself running through the forest, her hair blowing and her face clear of makeup. She looked happy and free. Luna opened her eyes, before sighing. Like that would ever happen. She was jerked out of her thoughts as a voice came from behind her.

"Princess Lunala. Your parents wish for your presence," A man in a black suit with red hair and freckles approached her.

"Thank you Aaron. Tell them I'll be there in a moment" Luna responded. Aaron nodded, and waded through the rose garden, back into the palace walls. She sighed, before getting up. She smoothed out her dress and began walking. She followed the stone patterns on the ground, before the roses started thinning out. She looked out for the large willow tree, as it was her signal to turn right.

As it came into view, she walked towards it, putting her hand on the sturdy, smooth wood. Luna looked up into the leaves, to that little flat spot in the middle. She longed to climb to it, but knew it would be deemed unlady-like.She looked back and resumed her path. She turned right, and was faced with two, large wooden doors.

She moved her hand up to her necklace, before grabbing the key hanging off of it and easing it into the door. Once she heard the click, she removed the key and stepped back. With a loud creak, the doors slowly opened.

Once the doors were fully opened, Luna strided inside, her black gown barely brushing against the floor. As she walked down the long, winding halls, she looked at the paintings. She has seen them all before, but everytime she looked, she would notice something more. This time, she noticed a small peacock feather engraved in the golden frames.

Luna shook her head, her thoughts wandering again. She walked into the throne room where her parents were waiting. She walked over to them, wondering what they were going to lecture her on this time. She looked at their faces, expecting disappointment. She was shocked to see excitement instead.

"What? Why are you smiling?" Luna asked. She was genuinely curious, though it didn't come out as such. Her words came out bitter and harsh, as they always do.

"Watch your tone young lady," Her mother warned, and Luna looked at her with annoyance.

"Hey, hey. Let's not get mad at each other ok?" Her father said. He always does this when tensions arise between Luna and her mother. "Anyways, to answer your question Lunala-"

"It's Luna.." Luna mumbled. She knew this was useless though. Her parents would forever call her Lunala.

"Right. Anyways, why we're so excited is that the king and queen of Cangsal are coming here to discuss an alliance between our two kingdoms!"

"And this is supposed to interest me... How?" Luna asked, already bored. She was absent-mindedly fiddling with her dress.

"Because they have a daughter around your age, and they're bringing her!" Her mother explained.

"Again, why am I supposed to be excited?" She sighed.

"Because we were hoping.." Her father looked at her mother. "You two could talk and hang out!"

"Ugh! You're expecting me to be excited that I have to interact with somebody? Have you even met me?!" Luna said, rolling her eyes.

"Well, me and your mother know you're lonely and don't have many friends-" Her father began.

"I have friends!" She retorted.

"Are they humans?" Her mother asked, raising her eyebrows. Luna opened her mouth, but then shut it. They were right. She hadn't interacted with any person outside of the royal family and staff since the last kingdom ball. And that was five years ago.

"Well I don't want to talk to anyone," She crossed her arms.

"Well, they're coming tomorrow, and we expect you to at least be polite. Plus, you might be surprised. You're dismissed" Her father said, before walking away with her mother. Luna watched them go, before sighing. Maybe she would give this princess a chance.