Chapter 4

I make Keisha run 20 laps around the court and I timed while she did it. I had to make sure my players are in shape and I have to say she was most definitely that. Keisha finished the laps in five minutes. I was impressed.

"Nice I like that your in shape. Next we gonna see how you dribble against defense and then I want to see how you shoot."

I give her the ball and she starts dribbling towards me. I squat down, put my hands up, and start playing defense. She crossed me a few times and I liked that. So put her on the free throw line  and watch her shoot. Keisha's stance was nice, but her form needed some work.

"Here let me help you with something." I come up behind her and put my hand on her shooting hand.

"Extend your hand a little higher and flick your wrist." I tell her. I help her with the motion despite my heart beating rapidly.

"Like this?" She asks extending her hand out.

"Yeah thats better." I say. After we got done with Keisha's tryout, I sat down.

"Well Keisha I'm impressed with your skills and I would love for you to be a shooting guard." I tell her.

"Really? But what ab-"  I cut her off.

"Last night has nothing to do with your skills set. You have potential and I like that."

"Thank you." A silence falls on us.

"Uhm Jordyn?" Keisha says

"Yeah?" I reply

"You wanna go get some ice cream? I mean to celebrate."

I smile, "Sure I'll buy"

"Naw I got this" Keisha insist. I shrug and follow her as we walk to Flo's Ice Cream Parlor. I order a cookies and cream and Keisha orders strawberry. We sit down at a bench.

"So why you wanna be on the basketball team?" I ask

"Well I have always wanted to play sports, but never really had the courage to do so."

"Not to be a perv, but you definitely had the body for it."

"Thank you but you should seen me freshman year" she giggles.

"Well look at you now. All those haters can suck it because now your the one lookin good." Shit she looks at me confused.

"I mean uh for a girl like you." I go back to eating my ice cream as my face burns with embarrassment.

"Uhm thanks, I think."

We talk various things as we eat our ice cream. After about an hour I say bue to her and head home. I get home around 4:30 and see my mom drinking her wine.

"Where were you?" My mom says

"I was at the park."

"Did I  say you could go to the park?"

"No but I did anyway"

"What did you say b!tch?" Next thing I see my mom running after to me and I'm in my room.

"OPEN THIS FUCKIN DOOR?!" she screams. I try to hold the door,  but she barges fhe door. I land on the floor and I her grab my bat.

"You think you big and bad huh?! I'll show you who is bad!" My mom starts hitting me with my bat. I try to block the blows but I can't. I feel the pain od every hit. From my stomach  to my back. The final blow was to my head when everything went black.

I wake up and find myself on the floor. Everything around me is spinning. I try to get up but my stomach hurts. Everything in my body aches and cries for help. I get up taking the pain and sit in my bed. I cry to sleep wishing I never woke up from this nightmare.