Chapter XIII: The End or A New Beginning?

Katsume ran her hands through her hair, her eyes wide. "What even just happened?"

Mitsuki rolled her eyes. "Isn't it obvious? The curse is broken."

"Yes, but-"

"Your Majesties!"

Katsume, Mitsuki, Katsuki, you, and Kiri turned to find heads of red and white locks running towards them, followed by many others. "Is that Shoto," you asked, "the stableboy?"

"And the one leading your army," Mitsuki said with pride. "He is rather talented. Defeated your army's captain."

"He beat Sir Nishiya?" Your eyes widened and you turned towards your mother. "You mean he's-"

She nodded. "Your half-brother." She had a sad smile on her face. "I think I've been punishing him long enough for your father's mistake."

Shoto stopped before the five of you. "Everyone is present and accounted for, your Highnesses." He spotted you and kneeled. "Prince (Name). I'm so glad you're safe."

You knelt beside him. "Hey, why didn't you tell me we were brothers?"

He lifted his gaze, eyes wide. "You know?"

You nodded. "Yeah. Saw my father- our father in the Hollow. Kind of a dick."

He nodded. "I was hoping I could at least tell him how much I hate him for what he did to my mother."

"You know what? I'll take you to where he sank." You stood and held out your hand, which he took. "No need to kneel to me anymore. We both know now, so that would be kind of weird."

He studied you for a second, checking to see if you were truly serious, before a smile graced his features. "I suppose it would be."

"And don't call me your Highness or whatever. (Name) will do just fine." He nodded. You took him to where your father had cried out before he was swallowed by the earth. "Here."

He knelt to the ground and stood there for a second, completely silent, before whispering, "I hope you were buried alive so that you can have some taste of what my mother went through." He slammed his fist into the earth and stayed there for a second longer. He then stood and turned, something about him seeming lighter. "Thank you, (Name)."

You opened your mouth, but Katsume made her way to him and brought him into an embrace, causing him to tense. "I'm so sorry," she whispered into his ear. "I was stupid and petty and you are just as much my son as (Name) is. Please forgive me."

Shoto blinked, not sure if this was all a dream or not. Hesitantly, he lifted his arms and hugged her back. "Are you being serious?" he asked meekly.

She nodded. "Of course I am." His eyes went from doubting to happy as he embraced his new mother.

Two people you recognized ran up to you. "Denki! Mina!" you exclaimed. Both of them jumped at you, and the three of you collapsed on the ground. "I've missed you guys so much!" you said, giggling as you rolled in the grass.

They both giggled back, equally as excited to see you. "You're absolutely ripe," Denki joked.

You rolled your eyes. "Try being in an enchanted forest for days while staying clean."

You all sat up and you grinned. "You both look amazing, by the way." You squinted. "Is that my ugly yellow vest? It looks great on you, what the hell?"

He stood and showed off his outfit. "I know, don't I look great?" You snickered and he sat back down next to Mina and smirked. "You went on a great adventure and you didn't bring me, so I went on my own adventure." He poked you in the forehead. "Although you better not leave me behind again, you hear?"