Chapter 1

"You feel so human!" Makanaka exclaimed as she let go of Pete's hand.

Pete, Maka's date, smiled and nodded at her.

"Is it pleasing to you?" He asked.

Maka grinned and nodded. She opened her hand-fan and pretended to fan herself.

She felt her watch vibrate, and she nodded. Definitely an AI. He looked and felt so human, but he wasn't.

She had been so sure that this date was going to be a disaster, but now she thought it might not be so bad. As she sat down at their table, she smiled at him, completely looking forward to the night ahead.

When they approached her about this experiment, she had been so sceptical about the whole thing, but now she was glad she had agreed. She was still a little suspicious about being cut out from the process of creating this new line though.

Why had it happened without her knowledge and involvement?

Someone had a lot of explaining to do.

Maka's father owned one of the top Robotic AI manufacturing companies, and so for most of her life she had been exposed to all kinds of Robotic AIs. While she didn't employ any herself, preferring to do her own things, she worked with some at the lab where she was employed. 

And for years, she was involved in whatever they worked on. Her approval was needed to go further with each creation.

And they had completely gone over her and not even consulted her with this new line. And she wasn't impressed. Something was wrong.

And when they had told her they had actually created Robotic AIs that could pass as a human partner, she hadn't believed them. While a robotic spouse could probably cause fewer problems than a human one, no one wanted to marry a robot and sleep with synthetic material beside them.

That would be just too much.

And then there was the fact that Maka had given up on ever being excited about any new creation in the Robotic AI lines. She hadn't thought they could make anything that could catch her attention, but maybe she had been wrong.

This new one might just exceed all her expectations. 

Human-like skin and what seemed to be a wide range of emotions? She hadn't believed it when she heard it, but the evidence was right in front of her. A woman could totally cuddle up with Pete during the night, and on the plus side, she could programme him in such a way that he wouldn't cheat on her, or dump her.

Unless, of course, that is what she wanted, she knew of people with weird tastes. 

That he actually really looked and felt human had both shocked her and pleased her. Even his eyes looked more human than she had been expecting.

Of course, a robotic husband or boyfriend still wouldn't be a choice she would ever take. The technology excited her, but she wanted a real man, flesh and blood. Unfortunately, in her field of work she was surrounded with men that left a lot to be desired. She was finding it really hard to find the perfect guy for her.

Lord help me, he doesn't need to be a perfect guy, but I know you can provide the perfect guy for me.

A life partner had become a constant prayer for her these days. She had accomplished a lot in life, but now she wanted someone to share it with. She often felt a little envious of her twin-sister's life, but she didn't regret the choices she had made for her life.

Sure, Tadiwa now had all that Maka wanted in the phase of her life, but Maka knew it hadn't come easy for her. Infact, she was super happy that Tadiwa and her husband were finally expecting a child because it had been a battle for a couple of years.