Chapter 6

For the first time since this whole experiment date thing started, Maka had to seriously consider if Pete secretly hated her. Maybe the look he had given her earlier had nothing to do with her character and everything to do with her last name.

She thought back even to their conversation about how she felt about the AIs. Had Pete been judging her based on her last name all this time?

His perfect behaviour during their date. And his refusal to date her. Was it all because of who she was? Sure Simba and Tadi told her he never dated. But what if he did, and he just liked to keep it all a secret?

What had he thought of her offer to help?

Experience had shown her that showing kindness and helping people without hiding it was never a good idea.

It was rarely ever worth it.

Was Pete one of those people who would judge her no matter what?

Most people judged her and Tadi based on their background. They came from one of the founding families of Planet Anaiah. They were not only one of the richest families; they were also one of the most feared. Their family had played a part in establishing the bones that made the society of Adam City. The entire planet was named after them.

And they were usually the first to be blamed for everything wrong with the City.

And everyone seemed to think that their efforts to help the City and its people was a bid for more power.

Which was further from the truth.

The Anaiahs may have been the ones to discover the planet years back on earth, but they never planned to settle here and rule.

And most of them were pretty much over Adam City too. Her grandparents had already left to build another City elsewhere on Anaiah. Far from Adam City. A City where all the Anaiahs would move to and separate themselves from this corrupt society.

Away from all the judgement and criticism.

And while he was doing that, Maka and Tadiwa had decided to build other smaller towns on a different side of Adam City. Refugee towns for the other people who would also want to leave Adam City.

They wouldn't take everyone to the new City her granddad was building. People were just more likely to rise up against them anyway. Even in a new environment.

Justin wasn't wrong, as an Anaiah, she had the money to help. But with the political climate in the City at the moment, she couldn't do much. If they saw her helping these people as an Anaiah, it would cause more problems than it would solve.

Maka frowned. Being an Anaiah was both a curse and a blessing. Everyone loved to hate and envy you. And most people plotted against you.

How do you explain that to a teenager?

"Don't push her guys. And any help that comes from her ends between us. No one else can know. If she is helping us, she is helping as aunt Maka, not an Anaiah," Pete spoke up, surprising her.

"But..."

"No. No one finds out about this Justin. Not even inside your friends in there."

"Why do people hate the Anaiahs?"

The question shocked Maka, especially because it came from Lily. She stared at the child, wondering what she had heard about them. The girl wasn't looking at her anymore though. Now she was looking up at her uncle, waiting for an answer.

Her question gave Maka hope. And waited along with Lily to hear Pete's answer. Maybe Pete wasn't looking at her as an Anaiah after all. It was possible that Justin's prejudice had come from other people and not Pete.