Moving In

My small hand quivered as I pressed down firmly on the cold, silver door handle. I took a deep shaky breath and pushed it open. Entering the apartment, I examined it carefully. The room joint to the door was mostly empty apart from the drawers, fridge and oven, clearly being the kitchen I was told about. I dragged my bags in and slumped down leaning my back against them on the cold floor. I scrunched my nose as the place reeked of alcohol and cigarettes, suddenly a flashback of my mother sitting at the table smoking a cigarette crossed my mind. I shaked it out telling myself that the memories of my past would not interfere with my new life. I coughed slightly, reminding myself that It was easy to get away with a bit of air freshener like my brother used to do. I decided to explore my new apartment, skipping through the rooms a small smile stretched on my face. It wasn't perfect, but then again nothing was at first.There was about three rooms, a bathroom, a bedroom and a kitchen joint to a small lounge area which was all I needed really. I hated big places and as I was living on my own I didn't need a huge place. A few days before I made sure that someone who was able to paint and put a carpet in was coming round in a few hours. I wanted everything to be finished so I could start exploring the new city. Until that, a red headed lady from the office downstairs came up to discuss bills, rules, stuff like that. She seemed nice, but then I had only just met her. I asked her if there was any cafe's or shops that I could work at as a starting point. She told me about a small cafe that her boyfriend owned just around the corner, she was sure that she could get me in as a waitress as they were looking for one anyway.I made a mental note to check the place out before. Apart from that, the prices were pretty decent and I was fine with the rules, the fact that she had to say that I wasn't aloud to do the toilet outside in the hallway both disgusted me and rather offended me, I wasn't that kind of person and was shocked that someone would actually do that. She left just before the man with the carpets and paint came. He was an old, narrow man, and didn't have much manners but he got the work done and that was all that mattered. The kitchen and the lounge was painted white while the bathroom and the bedroom were a pale blue and the carpets were all a light shade of green. It actually looked really nice apart from the fact that there was no furniture, but that would be sorted out tomorrow when the furniture company came around with everything. I slept on the floor with only a pillow and a single blanket for warmth secretly wishing I had brought a thicker one as the heating sadly wouldn't be ready until tomorrow afternoon. That night I dreamt of all the possible experiences and chances of happiness that could come by moving.

My name is Maddison Fields and I have just moved from London to a large city called Baltimore for a fresh beginning, hoping my haunting past would be left behind. I'm planning on to work for either a cafe or a small place like that until I can achieve my life dream of becoming a writer and publishing books. But of course, as many as you know, perfect plans don't last long.

a.n
hey🌟 so Ive really been wanting to start an alex fanfic so yeah I did😂 sorry this is short, it's only the first chapter so I'll try and update as soon as I can 👋