Ten

Eva drives recklessly. Like everything else she does.

So it surprises me quite a lot when she drives very slowly towards Benjamin Ramirez's place. It is at least half an hour from the museum if we are at a normal speed, but with the way she's driving we reach there fifty minutes later.

The house on the address given by Joanna is . . . not quite a house as much as a decrepit hovel. The ceiling is covered by a sheet of tin and the grass in front of the house seems to be reaching the ceiling itself. The door on the front is intact but the rest of the walls are abound with flaky plaster.

"Seems like the sanctuary of an axe murderer," I mutter once we climb out of Eva's car.

She doesn't look at me but grabs my hand and squeezes it. "Let's do this. Let's find out why in world would he break the heart of a woman like Lydia Ackles."

"Would you rather that he had continued the 'affair', if that's what you believe?"

She looks at me and there's a smile shining in her eyes, which reminds me:

"This doesn't change anything between us, y'know?"

Eva lets out a breath. "God, yes I know. Can we go in now?"

I nod and we walk over to the place that's going to give us Lydia's secrets.

There's an old-fashioned knocker on the door instead of a doorbell. Eva raps the door with it thrice, before we hear a crashing noise inside.

I look at her before knocking myself once more.

There is a shuffling noise inside but no one comes out even after five minutes.

"I swear to God I'll break down this door if I have to," Eva says.

For once, I agree with her aggression.

She bangs the knocker more loudly this time. "Open up the door or I'll-"

But I never get to know what fancy threat Eva gives out because just then something thumps loudly at the back of my head and the world fades into a myriad of colors.
_____________________________________________

Reminder: double updates today. Yayy.

Thoughts on the cliffhanger?
Also, *IMPORTANT* thoughts on Lydia?

Spam me with votes and comments y'all!
-Ray

Spam me with votes and comments y'all! -Ray