Chapter 2: Secrets

"Here, let me help you, Ams." Alex says, lifting the two boxes that were labeled Amelia.

As Amelia and her uncle walked upstairs, she kept her eyes on the box she held in her hands. Everytime she would look at him, a feeling of betrayal would come over her. He glanced at her and sighed. "Am.." He said, setting the boxes down in the room she was going to stay in.

Amelia didn't meet him eyes. Alex, gently grabbing her chin and making her meet his hazel eyes, stared down at his niece with caring and sad eyes.

"Please tell me you didn't dig in that box..." His voice sounded hurt and worried.

Her stared at him with her darkened eyes. "You mean the box that holds all my mother's things and the letter she sent you? Of course not." The angered sarcasm made him wince softly.

He sighed and sat on the floor, patting the spot beside him. Amelia refused to sit. She wanted to hear the truth. He let out a deep breath. "Amelia..."

"Don't sit here and make up any excuses. I want to know what happened to my mother and why you hid it from me."

He ran his hand through his wavy brown hair, trying to think of a way out of this situation.

"I wish I could explain but I don't know any more than you do."

"Bulls-"

"Amelia Dira Evers!" Alex said, stopping her.

Ameila looked down, ashamed. This anger was new to her. She'd never been upset with her uncle before. Alex stood and took her in his arms. She buried her face in his button up.

"Look, Ams," Alex said, keeping his voice low as her strokes her brown waves of hair. "I don't know who or what your mother and father were running from but I know one thing; your mother wanted me to keep you safe and that's exactly what I'm going to do."

Ameila looks up at him, eyes tearful. Alex kissed her head and gave her fatherly squeeze. "I love you, Am," Alex whispered. "I will always love and protect you."

"I..I love you too.."

Her uncle kissed her head once more and left. She stood in her bedroom, letting the loneliness wash over her. She knelt on the ground and opened one of her boxes and stared down in confusion. In the box was the things her mother left her uncle.

She took the box and put it in her closet, in the far back. She was going to figure everything out on her own.