epilogue

Stella

I take one more look in the mirror, making sure my makeup looks fine. I don't know who I'm trying to impress honestly, it's just gonna be me and the girls.

I feel stupid honestly. I know he invited me to come to the show tonight, but what ex-girlfriend willingly goes to a place where everything is about the ex-boyfriend. Honestly, the only reason I'm going is because it was free. Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself.

Things with Harry fell apart pretty quickly. We both decided to stop before things got to the point where we couldn't take things back. The plan was to reassess in a few months, maybe a year, and see how things played out. The goal always was to get back together. Or at least, it was for me.

About three months after we ended things he was seen all over the internet with this blonde girl, Chloe. I was jealous, but at the same time we weren't together so who am I to stop him? Yeah, we were still friends in a way, but the term was being used very loosely at the time. Flash forward two years to today and I'm going to my now married ex-boyfriend's concert.

He seems happy, which should make me happy. She seems to be good for him. She goes with him on his tours around the world and they're almost always together. She's everything he wanted from me. Harry and I would have never gotten that.

Harry let me keep the house, and I kept Clementine too since he wouldn't have been able to keep up with her. When we bought the house he insisted on paying it off in full, so it was just a matter of him signing the deed over to me. We thought we knew it would be the house we grew old in. It's bittersweet living here now. I walk through the rooms only to be greeted by haunting memories of our final days together. We tried so hard, but we were broken beyond repair.

Sometimes I still feel like I can't breathe. Mostly on nights when I wake up to our empty bed. Or when I get home and he's not there waiting for me on the couch like he used to be. I've tried to move on and find someone, anyone to fill the void in my life, but nobody could ever take his place. They would never make it past the first date since I would always find myself comparing them to him.

It's sick and twisted how my brain refuses to let him go. It's like I'm addicted to him or something. The second he texts or calls, my hands reach for the phone, hoping it's him telling me he's made a mistake and wants me back. I didn't think he would move on so fast. I thought we had a chance to fix things.

I go to the car once I'm ready, getting in to start my drive into the city. My heart is racing in my chest with every inch I move closer.

My friends are meeting me at the venue. I practically begged them to come with me since I didn't think I would be able to be alone with Harry. He's happily married now and the last thing I would want to do is make a fool of myself. He would probably cut me out of his life forever if I made a dumb comment out of jealousy. I just have to be happy for him.

We haven't seen each other in person since we broke up. It's a slap in the face honestly that we're meeting again today and his wife will be there. He had convinced me he was so in love with me, that he wanted to marry me. Maybe he meant it, maybe he was just trying to bring marriage into it as a last ditch effort to save us. I guess I'd just never understand his lifestyle. All the touring and the traveling was so devastating to our relationship.

Looking back on our relationship, it's clear we were both in the wrong. As much as I felt he put work first, I can recognize that I set unrealistic standards. I think I just wanted him to care. To maybe just once say 'Screw the studio, lets go run away for the weekend'. I know things could have been worse. I know he tried his best when it came to his schedule. We both really just screwed it all up.