A Life in the Graveyard

The cold wind creeps into her body like a sudden chill that keeps on coming every now and then. The ringing sound of crickets filled the almost empty forest that is unknown to her knowledge. The consecutive cracking of fallen leaves under her feet every time she steps that resonates in the darkness.

She felt a flicker of relief when she saw a lamp that produces a faint and sad glow in the middle of darkness ahead. Passing through the bushes, under the faint light, tombs scattered before her eyes; an old and forgotten cemetery.

She stumbled upon the cracks of cement and couldn't get up because of exhausted body and starvation, for almost whole day of running away non-stop. She grit her teeth and force herself to be in sit on the cold floor while leaning besides mossy tomb the.

Almost thirty minutes had passed and no sign of living which is to be all dead are now with her.

She almost jump when she hear something is being drag across the rough and rocky pavement. She musters her strength to peek behind her.

A figure of tall man, pulling a body bag that contains a dead body. His thin arms and lean frame body making an effort to force the thing to be move and be buried. Even though struggling from the weight of load he was pulling towards a six feet deep man-size hole he keeps on pulling it anyway.

He stop just by the opening and let the bag rest before unzipping it revealing a corpse of a man that has been dead for 5 hours beneath the abandoned bridge; a suicide. He stare at the dead person's face, it has blood all over his face, probably his skull landed on a rock, a quick death. At thirty-five he died for whatever reason, he cannot understand.

Why does people commit such act, where did he get the courage to kill himself and what is going on in their head.

He further examines the body, the ring in his finger, the watch in his right wrist and the suit he wore other than that was nothing. It is the second time this year he thought as he completely separate the body from the bag and pushes it until it fell inside the hole.

She gasped and covers her mouth to not make a sound from what she just witnessed, murder. She panicked and accidentally pressed the dried leaves beneath her that causes to make a reverberating sound through the dead night. She quickly hid back, praying that he didn't notice her.

After minutes of no movement she dared to peek back but no one is there. She sighs in relief thinking he probably gone. But when she turns around a face suddenly came in to the view making her shriek and stumbled sideward trying to keep herself away from the man. A sudden fear elapses in her entire body

"I-I didn't see anything, I swear" She doesn't hear anything except the loud sound of her heartbeat ramming inside her ribcage.

She crawled away but he immediately grips her ankle forcing her not to get away. The pebbles graced her naked arms and keep on struggling. This must be the end.

Am I going to die?

A flash of memories seep into her mind as if a series of images from her past. Her doll that burned by her older stepbrother, her dog passed away because it was poisoned by their neighbor.

Maybe, maybe struggling is futile after all and then a moment after, she lost her consciousness. On the other hand, the man stared for her for almost fifteen minutes before carrying her on his shoulder like a lifeless sack of rice to his house.

He put her in a sitting position and lean her back besides the wall. He took a deep breath and stare at the girl's face longer this time. He never thought that he would see a human being; alive and breathing besides himself. How many years have been since he last saw another human? It was about 15 years ago, his life has been miserable than he is now.