Foxglove

The chandelier was finally clean and with the help of Nifty you were able to ALSO get the ceilings dusted and cobwebs removed. You didn't know HOW she got up there, but you weren't complaining. Heights weren't your favorite anyway. Now was the next piece...new linens for the tables and of course flowers.

You needed to go shopping. Charlie had given you money to utilize for the repairs of the ballroom and you would finally get to put it to good use. 

"You should let Vaggie and I come with you, y/n." she said. "Hell isn't exactly...kind to newcomers."

"I imagine not...but I'm sure I can handle buying flowers and tablecloths. Besides... I should probably get to know the city more as well..."

You also needed to get away from Alastor. You hadn't seen him all morning, but you felt a sort of itchy feeling on the back of your neck since your last singing session with him. It was like he was watching you from the shadows...waiting to pounce.

Charlie let you borrow the chauffeur, giving him instructions on the specific sections of town you were permitted to go and the ones that were too dangerous. You didn't object, you just wanted time away from the dusty rooms of Hazbin Hotel.

Pentagram City was...a city. It kind of reminded you of New York...or what you glimpsed of New York from Heaven. There were a lot of noises, bright lights...murder...

You pressed your back into the leather seat of the car and closed your eyes tight. You just needed to remind yourself...you were safe, you were protected, and...death wasn't permanent down here. That was the point of Hell. ETERNAL punishment. Still the squelch of blood, crack of bone, how had Lucifer made his home here?

"Miss," the driver called. "We have arrived at Harpie's Garden..."

The flower shop...or perhaps public gardens was more appropriate. It felt unnatural for you to see greenery in Hell...but even so, this wasn't the same color green you found in heaven. It was darker...the leaves almost black against the blood red sky. It wasn't ugly...just strange. You reached out to touch one of the rose bushes leaves when you stop short and noticed something.

Was that branch...bleeding? You inched closer, but decided you would prefer not knowing and made your way to the only lit building in the gardens.

You had walked with the florist, an imp with bright blue horns, she recommended numerous arrangements...most of them roses, but you wanted something different. Roses were lovely, but you wanted the tables to really glow.

"Those are different..."

You approached an isolated section of flowers. On a deep green stem were dark purple bell shaped blooms.

"Oh foxgloves...yes, those are quite popular...but they are fickle...typically they only thrive in cooler climates...magic keeps them at a perfect temperature to prevent them from dying."

"Could I have those made into an arrangement? I would require 20 centerpieces...and...I'd love a small bouquet just to have."

"Absolutely ma'am! I will have them delivered to the hotel immediately. Is there anything else you need?"

You briefly thought back to the rose bushes... but decided against it and shook your head. The bill would be delivered with the flowers, but your own personal bouquet was wrapped in black tissue paper and clear cellophane for you to take with you.

Nestled in your arms, you preceeded back out to the garden. You figured you could spend some time walking about before going back to the car...it felt like eons since you were able to have time to yourself.

The trees lined up against the black iron face arched inward, almost like they were trying to snatch up anyone that came too close. You stopped walking and looked closely at a particularly unsettling tree.