Chapter 5: Fearing Royalty

The inside of the large cottage was just as Erika pictured it; very antique. The front door welcomed her straight into the living room, which was quite spacious but minimally furnished and decorated. A portrait the size of a window hung on the wall facing the door; it depicted a man, not unlike any other Erika had seen in the village, except he was draped in much more flattering attire and on his head was a brilliant silver crown. Erika wondered whether this was some medieval king she should've learned about in history class. There was a carefully sculpted and detailed oak dining table in the center of the room and three chest-like crates lining one of the walls, one significantly larger than the other two. The floors were made of cold wooden panels and often creaked beneath pressure. The walls were poorly painted and there were multiple closed doors leading out of the living room. Though quite untypical and minimalistic, the house seemed pretty humble and welcoming.

There was just one very odd absence. . . Where are all the windows? Erika wondered to herself. And then it hit her, none of the houses she'd seen in the village displayed any windows.

As she stood there, in this unfamiliar environment with two strangers, her palms began sweating, and not from the overwhelming heat of the stuffy air. She was beginning to think Nevane wasn't interested in helping her get home.

"Erika," the purple haired woman smiled, "This is Aura. She is the mayor's wife."

Erika turned to examine the other woman. She had fine, fair hair and big brown eyes that looked like they might belong to a small, frightened puppy when they gazed into yours. Her shoulders were narrow and slightly hunched forward. Whether she was very uncomfortable and insecure with the situation or just generally had this manner was unclear.

"Aura, this is Erika. I've come to introduce her to Manic and Nixon."

Aura's big brown eyes widened even further, "Must you bring my family into this game of yours?" she spoke, allowing Erika to witness her high, wavering voice, "At least leave my son out of this, please."

Erika was taken aback by the way in which Aura spoke to Nevane, as if she was almost afraid. Should Erika be afraid as well? She felt like she already was.

"You needn't fear me," Nevane cooed, as if reading Erika's mind, "Neither of you. I only wish to do as I am meant."

Erika was not sure how to construe this, or, in fact, anything else this strange woman was saying. But there wasn't much time for thought anyway. A loud knock erupted from the entrance, preceding the revelation of a broad figure stepping through the door frame. It was a young man, not much older than Erika, but much taller and larger. He had broad shoulders and decently developed musculature, his facial features almost a perfect replica of the man in the painting. Though it was difficult to say with certainty, Erika believed this was the guy who had almost dislocated her elbow.

"Nixon, leave, quickly!" Aura bellowed at her son the second he intruded her senses. Her panic was so abrupt even Erika had flinched.

"Mom, please," he said calmly, "We have guests, we should be welcoming."

Funny, I wasn't under that impression when you were yanking my arm out of its socket, Erika thought bitterly.

"I spoke to dad about her," Nixon continued, advancing further into the living room and glancing at Erika, "He said if The Tix wasn't worried, neither should we be. And Nevane seems to like her," Nixon smiled so warmly that Erika had almost taken back all the mean things she said about him in her head.

Nevane was very pleased with this, "That is wonderful news! Quite frankly, I knew you'd come around," they grinned at each other as if there was some sort of inside joke, "Erika, as you might have guessed, this is Nixon."

Erika stretched out her hand awkwardly and they both shyly mumbled their names.

Aura was containing herself, but her unease was far from surreptitious. Nevane had proceeded to ask her to give Erika some 'appropriate attire', to which the former had almost lost it. But she adhered out of courtesy and Erika had found herself presented with a thin, silk like piece of fabric. She was escorted into another room to change.

Upon being left alone, she contemplated her situation. She was now in a pantry of some sort, a large room with only wooden shelves lining the walls, but stocked generously with containers full of all kinds of nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruits, sacks carrying varieties of grains and an entire wall dedicated to an assortment of cheeses. Now that she was alone, she debated making a run for it. That's when the 'no windows' thing became an annoying inconvenience. She gazed around the room, but the only escape was through the door which lead to the living room. Her eyes fell upon a few strangely assorted wooden panels and she realized this must've been a door to a wine cellar of some sort. The idea of possibly trapping herself in someone's basement gave her chills, so she dismissed the idea of fleeing.

Erika was relieved to say the least when she was rid of her winter garments, most of which had been partially soaked. She pulled the white gown over her head and examined the way it coated her body. Aura was taller and lankier than her, so the dress fell all the way to the floor. Her sleeves ended halfway down her fingertips and its shapeless silhouette swallowed Erika's petite figure. But she felt comfortable. It was light and allowed her skin to breathe.

Erika emerged from the pantry, cradling her old clothes in her arms. Nevane complimented her, "I'm sure you feel much better now."

"I'm kind of thirsty," Erika shrugged, her dehydration catching up to her, "And thank you for the warm welcome, but I really should be heading home. If you could just point me in the direct-"

"Right, right," Nevane dismissed her, "All in due time."

"I believe she is correct," Aura stepped in, "It's time you both departed."

"Mom-"

"That's enough Nixon," Aura snapped at her son as he attempted to speak up, "Curiosity killed the cat. You are still underage and if I tell you to refrain you shall listen. If your father permits you differently, he is not here right now."

Nixon frowned, sealing his mouth. He stared at Erika as she exited the house and, upon catching his eye, she quickly looked away. As Aura practically slammed the door behind her unwanted guests, she found herself embracing the sunlight once more. The fresh air was welcoming in her lungs as she inhaled deeply, closing her eyes.

"Nevane," she said, unaware of the woman's triumphant facial expression, but painfully aware of the awful, stirring feeling in her gut "I want to know where I am and why I am here. Am I dreaming?"

She fluttered her eyes open, her dilated pupils narrowing beneath the sting of the flaring sun as she gazed directly into it for a fleeting second, and she heard Nevane speak, as if miles away, "Oh don't worry dear, you're definitely not dreaming."