CHAPTER TWENTY - JUST RELEASED

Ocean sprung to his feet. "I knew it," he exclaimed.

"You knew what?" I asked, looking up at him.

"That's the same chick," said Ocean. "Her last name is..," snapping his fingers to recall the name. "...Jones, right?" he said when the name came to him.

"Yeah," I replied cautiously.

"She went to Howard University in DC, didn't she?"

"Yeah, what are you getting at?" I asked.

"She did the same fucked up shit to my cousin, that's what I'm getting at," he said.

"Man, what are you talking about?"

"My cousin was in his senior year at the same university when he got kicked out. This Karen chick got his girlfriend to tell the Dean that my cousin beat her up, just so she could get back at him for cheating on her," Ocean explained.

"What, are you serious right now?" I exclaimed.

"Like a heart attack. The thing is André, my cousin, never beat up the girl. That's one thing Dré would never do. He knows better than to put his hands on a female in anger. From what he told me, he accidentally hit his girlfriend across the face in an attempt to stop her from hitting him, but he gave her a black eye in the process. It was purely accidental, but Karen lied and blew the whole thing out of proportion and got him kicked out his final year," Ocean explained further.

"Damn, that's fucked up," I replied.

"Tell me about it," Ocean huffed. "This is how vindictive this bitch is. When she first found out that Dré had supposedly cheated on her, she went over to his place like everything was cool, cooked him a good meal and everything. Then, after dinner, while they were relaxing on the couch, a message came in on his phone. She assumed it was another chick and got angry with him about it. She was so furious that this bitch went into the bathroom and pissed on that fool's toothbrush, then called him up the next morning and told him what she had done."

"Stop the bullshit," I hollered. "That's not even the slightest bit funny," I said, trying desperately to hide the humor I found in Dré's misfortune.

"When Dré told me, I almost passed out from laughing so hard. I couldn't help myself. I mean, it's not a nice thing to do to someone, but it was so funny to hear him tell me what she had done," said Ocean, laughing hysterically.

"So what did he do?" I asked curiously.

"What could he do besides wash his mouth out with soap?" said Ocean.

We both laughed even harder. "Man, I might have had to choke the hell out of her or something," I snorted.

Just then, the buzzer sounded and the heavy cell door rattled as it slid open as ceremoniously as it had before.

"Scott, get your shit, it's your lucky day, you're outta here," said the officer.

"Hey, if you need some money to help clear this shit up, you know where it is, black shoebox, top shelf, back of the closet," Ocean offered. "You still have the spare key, right?"

"Yeah, I do," I answered. "I appreciate it, man. I'll check on you in a few days."

"Go handle your business, don't worry about me," said Ocean. "I've already told you, I have a trick up my sleeve. You just don't be a fool," he warned.

"You don't have to worry about that, I know what I have to do. Thanks again for the loan," I told him.

"Thanks my ass. You'd better make sure you have my money when I get out," Ocean warned, lightheartedly.

We laughed, slapped five, and embraced each other. I stepped out of the holding. I allowed myself one last look at my friend as, according to the prescribed procedure, the cell door slid shut. I signed the logbook, collected my bagged belongs the sergeant handed me, and was on my way.