01| Elizabeth Bennet?

The end.

Fuck, I finished the book already?

I only started it this morning.

I—

"Nathaniel!"

I put my book down and saw Lavender running towards me with Carlos trailing behind her.

Carlos still doesn't like me very much for "flirting" with his girlfriend when I was around thirteen.

They got married today.

While everyone was eating I decided to reread just one chapter of Pride And Prejudice, I ended up reading the whole fucking thing.

Which was more than one hundred pages.

I stood up and gave Lavender a hug. "I'm glad y-you came, we missed you."

"Me too, thanks for inviting me."

I gave them a soft smile, it's been years since we saw each other, after they left for college, I never saw them again.

"You look as beautiful as always," I winked at her making her giggle, Carlos' almost smile vanished, a few seconds later I continued, "too bad you didn't accept my pride and prejudice proposal five years ago."

Lavender noticed what yours truly was doing and decided to play along.

"I k-know too bad Charlie already proposed when you t-turned of age. " She sighed.

The grin on my face hurt so bad from containing my laughter, but thankfully didn't laugh.

Carlos' face was priceless, he was gawking at his wife.

"Close your mouth money or you'll catch Flys" I teased.

His jaw clenched once he made eye contact with me.

This is when I should run for it before he yeets me outta here.

Deciding to go with that option, I blew Lavender a kiss and dashed away before her wonderful husband could catch me.

Thirteen-year-old me would be proud.

But of course I picked up my book before running.

I couldn't let anything happen to my baby.

My father and mother was waiting for me when I arrived at the house, sitting on some beanbags, they were the only things in the living room.

Where's everything else?

My parents saw my questioning look and my dad said, "Nathaniel, we probably should've told you sooner, but we're moving."

What?

"Why?" I asked in disbelief, I didn't wanna move, this was where I grew up.

I'm gonna accept it eventually, but that doesn't mean I want to move.

Dad sighed and stood up, wobbling a bit to gain balance.

"There were problems with your mothers case, and we're not safe here."

Shit.

My mom's a detective, a few weeks ago she told us about the new case she was working on, it was about a murderer on the loose.

"What about the case?"

Dad tensed and looked at mom worriedly. "She's staying since it's her case."

My heart thumped against my chest, this was bad, really bad.

****

The car was silent.