The Debate

Aiko stood there, with that grave expression on her face. She couldn't decide. Her mind went blank.

What should she do? Choosing Yoake would mean leaving her best friend alone whereas by choosing Luna, she would lose her only chance to be with Yoake. What if this was her only chance?

A hand touched her shoulder as those thoughts revolved in her head. She gasped in surprise and turned around instantly to see the same old calm and smiling Yoake.

"What happened?" asked Yoake in a calm tone.

"What? Oh! Nothing. I'm fine. Is it okay if I text you about being your debate partner after I reach home?"

"Sure. Take your time," said Yoake.

Aiko picked up her bag to proceed home as the thoughts continued to revolve in her head. There was no way she could make a choice. She jogged to Luna's bench.

"Let's walk home together," said Aiko in a cheerful tone.

"Great, let's go."

Aiko helped Luna with her bag and walked out with her. The weather was cool as it had rained last night. The leaves on the trees looked beautiful and salubrious. Little raindrops falling along with a light breeze made the weather impeccable.

"Hey, you never replied to me about the debate. Are we partners or not? We have to give our names by tomorrow. You remember, right?" said Luna, like she was interrogating her.

"Umm, that's what I wanted to talk about."

"I saw you with him in the recess so I didn't interrupt. I think he just transferred from the adjacent class. You have a thing for him?" questioned Luna with a smirk on her face.

"Well, he's cute. I do want to be partners with you but this is my chance. I have to be on a team with him." said Aiko cheerfully.

"Aiko, I understand. It's fine."

All Luna could think about was that she wanted to be with her. Who would she be with if Aiko was not there? But she had to be the best she could. She had to hide her feelings to make Aiko's feelings flourish.

After the confirmation from Luna, Aiko jumped in excitement. She texted Yoake that she'll be on a team with him. She had never been so happy. It's like she was on a whole different caliber of bliss.

The rest of the day passed and both of them kept texting each other. Aiko tried her best to know about him. All she wished for was getting close to him.

The next day, they walked to school together. Till recess, they sat together and enjoyed. They hoped to do well in the debate and were going to do their best.

As the recess ended, they were a little nervous but still, their faces showed excitement. All their classmates were quiet. The teacher entered the class and greeted them.

"Good morning students. Let's just get to the point. Go and sit with your partner in the debate. I'll choose any two groups and give a topic. You have to give 2 points each. Whenever a point is done, we'll ask the class to make a non-biased decision. If it ends up at 2-2 I'll decide who wins. Let's start. Switch your seats" announced their English teacher.

Yoake and Aiko sat there, staring at each other, knowing they were already with their partner.

After a few rounds, the teacher shouted, "Aiko and Yoake, you're next."

They stood up and started to walk to the front of the classroom. The students visually examined them like they were a couple. Aiko blushed but kept walking. The teacher kept her hand on Aiko's shoulder.

She shouted, "Their opponents are...