Chapter 8: Coming to terms

I woke up, and realized I wasn't at Stoner's house anymore. I was in my room, laying in bed. My head ached as I rose from my comfy sheets. What even happened last night? I can't remember a thing other than the first 15 minutes of the party. I guess that's what happens when you get so drunk that you can't think straight...

I got out of bed and emerged from my room. I walked to the meeting room like I had yesterday morning, and saw that Veteran was sitting there at the table.

"Hey Veteran."

He didn't respond.

"L-listen, I'm sorry about last night, I just... I wasn't in my right mind." I told him.

Out of nowhere, Veteran rose from his chair and hugged me tightly.

"Please never do that again. You make me very uncomfortable when your drunk." Veteran said.

I giggled a little but then pushed Veteran away. It's all a trick, Player. No one really likes you. I keep telling myself that and it feels even more true every time I say it. I wish I weren't so miserable and sad, then I wouldn't affect the people around me. I finally looked up into Veteran's worried eyes. I could never get over how beautiful his eyes were, and how they glistened in light.

He broke our silence. "Player, are you ok?"

I didn't respond, so he took up that silence too. "Player... I know you don't want to but, you have to talk to me for once. If you don't talk to me than how am I supposed to help you?!"

I felt tears forming in my eyes, but I didn't let them out. I had to say what needed to be said.

"Come on, Veteran. I know that you don't actually care about me. I know that no one in the crew cares about me and I know that you've all been faking smiles for me! I know the truth so you can stop wasting your energy on me..."

Veteran froze, while staring at me with horrified eyes. 

"So this is why you wouldn't talk to us... You thought we all hated you..." He trailed off and looked down at his hands, which were shaking furiously.

He spoke again. "Player, if we didn't care, then why have we sacrificed so much for you? Why would we have put so much time into hanging out with you if we were faking?

I began to cry as I spoke. "I-I don't know... I just felt like I was being lied to this whole time..."

Veteran pulled me in for another hug as I buried my face into his chest once again. That's when I realized, no one was lying to me, I was lying to myself. And for the first time in a while, I felt like I was home.