𝟏. 𝐀 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

A/N

Hey guys, I would appreciate it so much if you voted, commented and put the book in your reading lists... Would love to know that you like what I write <3

✧✧✧

Adelaide's P.O.V.
Miami, Florida, Present time

My maman had lied to me.

Life wasn't good. It wasn't beautiful.

At least not to me.

I had stopped repeating her words about a month after I was sold. Well, sold for the second time, if my father's deal counted. I had stopped believing her then.

Maman's life hadn't been good either, but she always wanted mine to be. She kept telling me, and I kept listening. I had kept my smiles, and my kindness and my sweet words. I had kept our song and I had kept La vita è bella. For six months after I was taken from her, I kept believing.

Until Rowan Moore took me, and snuffed the last specks ofhope out of me. After that, there was dread. Emetic distain. An anger so strong it burnt. And guilt.

And then, there was emptiness...

I ignored his hands on my ass and a droplet of his saliva that splattered my face as he spat commands to his men, with me straddling him on his office chair. I had been patient for the past four and a half years. Actually, patient was an understatement. I pretended wanting to have sex with him. I pretended that I liked it when he fucked me. I had told him I loved him. So yes, I could stand his touch or a drop of his spittle on my cheek.Or at least I could pretend.

When he was finally done talking to his men, my hands rested softly around his neck before I spoke. "Who are you meeting, master?"

My eyes locked on his tie, like it was the most intriguing thing they had ever seen, and feigned sweet innocence tainted my voice. Feigned, because he was the one who took my last flecks of innocence from me.

Within the past five years of my life, I had mastered the art of acting. It was what kept me alive. It was the only way I could survive this. One of my only weapons.

And Rowan had fallen right into my trap.

"He goes by Adonis. No one knows if it's his real name or not, but his nicknames are why I'm meeting with him anyway." Rowan answered, his hand stroking my ass.

"What are his nicknames?"

"The Professional, Shadow Snipper, Jaguar, Bullseye Striker, Sinister Shot... He's the best and the worst."

I didn't have to ask what this man was. Even before I was thrown into this world, I would understand that he was a hitman. An assassin.

I rested my forehead against Rowan's and bit the inside of my cheek, before speaking again, in that same sweet voice that I always used with him. "Why are you meeting him?"

He responded after a long pause."Curiosity killed the cat, my dear."

He wouldn't tell me and I knew better than to push me, so I was only left with one option; eavesdropping.

"Boss, he's here." One of his men entered the office and Rowan quickly took his hands off my ass and straightened.

Taking my que to go, I shot up to my feet and quickly made my way towards his office's door, but his voice made me stop dead to my tracks. "Go to my room and stay in there until I tell you."