Page 1

It's like walking on broken glass. The path goes as far as the eye meets, it's long and painful. But if it's for the one I love I will suppress the pain and reach my goal. For he, is my only dream.

My name is August Young. I'm 16 and in my last year in high school. I have brown, wavy hair that reaches half way down my back and hazel eyes, which I hate so dearly. When I'm in school I focus on my studies. I don't need friends, I need A's. A's so that my Mum can be proud of me and praise me and love me. I have friends... Well I wouldn't really call them my friends, just people that acknowledge my existence. I don't like the people at my school; I don't particularly like the human race. I'm surrounded by things I hate but if everything I hated suddenly disappeared what would happen to the things I loved? If I believed that bad is on balance with good then no bad will leave no good. I go through school every day hoping that my day will go in peace but my wishes never come true. Someone tries to talk to me and pick on me and laugh at me and all I can do is take it. But there was this one day where that didn't happen; a day when things started to change and it was thanks to this certain person.

Even though things started to change, I couldn’t really say if it were a good change or bad. It was a rollercoaster that never ended and I wanted to just jump, and glide down slowly away from the sickness this coaster ride gave me; down into the deep blue ocean that blanketed this rotten earth and filled it with beautiful, colourful, wonders that led deeper and deeper into a labyrinth of surprise. I loved to dive but he didn’t.

His name was John Reed. His appearance told me he was 16 but he himself had been living for much, much longer. He had little brown ringlets as hair, hanging down to his eye brows and equally as indulging brown coloured eyes. His eyes were very dark but still shimmered the little light left inside. That day when you shun brightly before my eyes, was the moment my doors opened up a little and the moment my heart shut down a little.

I wasn’t doing much, I was just walking down the street after I’d gone to the hair dressers for my regular trim when I saw the guys from my school. They started shouting at me saying how I ‘act all high and mighty when really I’m just a scrawny geek.’  I didn’t really know how to go about this so I ignored them and carried on walking but as I tried to progress home my head jolted back and the rest of my body followed through. But as I closed my eyes fearing the reality that was occurring, I dreamt of fields of daisies and daffodils and bluebells and cute little lavender bushes and beautiful blooming orchids and the grass greener than Granny Smith apples and skies clearer than glass and the sweet tinted blue that reached far, far, far across the skies; painted with the suns glinting warmth. It tickled down my neck and my back and down my body as I sat on the throne of heaven watching over this paradise as the butterflies and colourful dragon flies flew past my hazel nut eyes creating a sweet, calming buzz throughout the atmosphere.

But my reality didn’t differ too far from my paradise.