Chapter 7: Reunion

Flash.

"Jungkook, man, are you sure you're okay? If you want, I can talk to our homeroom adviser and tell him you need to go home." Taehyung grasps him by the shoulders. He and Chaeyoung cut their dancing when they saw Jungkook shaking and sweating profusely in his seat.

Jungkook nods as he quickly checks his phone. Once he confirms the date today, his rapid breathing slows down, his frantic heart calms. He then messages his driver to get ready.

"Okay then. Babe, can you wait with Jungkook here, please?"

"Of course," Chae bobs her head. "Go, I'll make sure Jungkook doesn't faint in the meantime. I'll keep him awake with my annoying jokes!"

"Please don't, that'll only exhaust me more," Jungkook exclaims much to Chaeyoung and Taehyung's enjoyment. Taehyung then leaves to find their adviser.

After a few minutes of silence, while waiting for their friend, Chaeyoung calls Jungkook's attention, "Hey, Jungkook?"

"Yes?"

"Are you," she fiddles with her fingers, "are you really feeling sick because of me? Am I really making you physically hurt just by my existence?"

Jungkook stares at the girl sitting across him, his heart feeling weird seeing her looking distressed. The truth is Jungkook believes that to be the case. But his lips won't let him confess that. So instead, he says, "No. It's all just a coincidence. I've always been sickly."

"Really? I'm not—I'm not hurting you at all?"

Not in the way you think.

"No, you aren't. So stop worrying about it. These are just occasional headaches. I'm not dying, Chaeyoung—"

Flash.

"I know. But that still means that I also have a thirty percent chance of dying, right? I'm scared."

"W-what?"

"I'm scared...Chae, I'm scared of that thirty percent. I'm scared, Chae. I'm so scared. I don't want to die..."

"I won't let you. I won't let you die. I promise."

Flash.

"You know, your words aren't really assuring seeing how in pain you are," Chaeyoung pats his back, attempting to ease his suffering. "Are you sure these are just headaches?"

"Yes, three doctors have said so already," Jungkook sighs. "Stop worrying already, please. It's only making me feel worse."

"Okay, okay. What can I do for you instead then?" Chaeyoung enthusiastically asks, her eyes shining so bright even in the dim lights.

"Don't say a word." But then Jungkook sees her pouting at that so he adds, "Or I guess distract me with any stories you have if you really can't stand not talking."

Giddy about his "request", Chaeyoung pulls her seat closer to his and excitedly begins her story. "Okay, since you courageously allowed me to talk—"

"Well, it's not like you listen anyway..." Jungkook mutters.

"—I'll tell you a secret! It's a real, real secret." His interest piqued, Jungkook lifts an eyebrow at her, urging Chaeyoung to continue. "Actually, Taehyung's not the first person I liked in the school."

"Okay..." Jungkook didn't really know what to say so he just grabs his glass and drinks. He wasn't even sure if he wants to know who this guy she first liked either is. Strangely, it's leaving a bitter taste on his tongue.