Chapter 6

Poof's hands were numb as she made her twenty-third pancake of the afternoon. Sighing in exhaustion, she sat up and began to walk towards the living room. She figured sitting on the couch for just a few minutes would ease her pain. After a moment, Dili trudged over to the couch as well. The entire force of his body that was heaved onto the seat made Poof jump. 

"How many pancakes are we going to make before we can stop?" Poof asked.

"Until it's as tall as Nn herself. Including her gigantic bird hat," Dili said. 

Poof nodded slowly as she looked at the growing stack of pancakes in the corner of the room. It was taller than Desert when she slouched. 

The pink cow looked at Poof. "You know, even though we have to make this many pancakes, we also have to make them good. Or at least decent. Y'know why?"

Poof shook her head.

"When all of you guys were at Air's bakery yesterday, Nn came for a visit for some reason. I got terrified and nearly blew my cover. But don't worry. I didn't. Anyway, when she came in, she straight up started crying. Yes, CRYING!"

Poof inhaled. "What do you mean? Why?"

Dili looked at the floor. "I really don't know. I think she was mad at me, though. Was I doing something wrong? Was I acting rude? Did she find out that I was the one who blamed her for eating your chocolate cake three years ago? Did I smell like feces?"

Poof gasped. "It was YOU-"

"N-N-B-B-But that's not the case right now!" Dili cleared his throat. "Anyway, as I was saying. We need to make the best pancakes that we possibly can, or there's a good chance Nn would DROP US! For good!"

Suddenly, out of absolutely nowhere, they heard a loud clang, and then a high-pitched scream, from the other side of the kitchen. The ringing remained in Poof's ears long after the original sound occurred. Quickly, she and Dili sped over to see what had happened.

"Careful," Air muttered as she put her arm back to stop Poof and Dili from getting any closer. "I think we're.. uh.. in a little bit of a sticky situation here.."

A total disaster had happened in the matter of a few seconds. A stack of cookbooks formerly sitting to the right of the stove had been knocked over, which apparently also knocked over a pan with uncooked pancake batter in it. The pan laid on the floor, cracked in two pieces. 

On the other side of the disaster, Desert stood motionless, with her pupils reduced to the size of grains of pepper. The curtain behind her looked like it had fallen as well, and the glass behind it was shattered.

Desert blinked. "I-I- Oh my god. I'm so sorry. P-Please forgive-"

Air put her arm down. "No, it was my fault. I should be sorry. I didn't know the cookbooks would fall over if they were placed like that. I'll clean it up."

"No! Don't act like you didn't see me scream and knock that whole curtain down. That's a lot of damage, and it was my fault," Desert cried.

The polar bear kid had a stern look in her eyes. "I should have known you would have reacted like that. Just leave it to me."

Desert scratched her ear in frustration. "You can't predict things like that!"

"STOP! Stop! Everybody stop! We can't be bickering like this! Not when Nn's birthday is tomorrow." Poof vigorously slammed a drawer closed, making Air and Desert flinch in shock.

At once, there was a thud behind the whole scene. Air, Dili, and Poof turned around in slow unison, while Desert worriedly eyed to the left.

The pot of plants in the corner of the room had fallen because of the drawer's immense force. Like a domino, the stack of crack fell with the loudest thump.