1.1 the Eleventh hour

Kennith was tired of her nightmares. She didn’t want them. She hated them. She wanted them to go away. Her two years older sister, Amelia, always told her to toughen-up. Life was hard, so why cry about some bad dreams? The worst part was, that Kennith couldn’t remember her dreams. She never once could. She only knew they were terrible.

Aunt Sharon was out that evening, leaving Amelia to take care of her little sister. But Amelia never really cared about what her younger sister did, so usually it ended up with Kennith sneaking out of the house and falling asleep in the small barn in the garden. Between the shovels and the potting soil.

Kennith liked the silence of the barn. It was very narrow, but if she curled up to a ball it could just fit. And sometimes, the nightmares stayed away for a night.

It was not like she didn’t like sleeping in the same room as Amelia, she often invited Amelia to come sleep with her in the barn, but Amelia always rejected. It was the crack in their wall. Both Amelia and Kennith were scared of the crack. Sometimes they heard voices.

This night was just like the other ones when Aunt Sharon was away. Kennith went to sleep in the barn, while Amelia praying for help. “Are you sure you don’t want to come with me? I’m sure you’ll love the barn! I know I do...” Kennith tried again, grabbing a soft, warm blanket.

“Yea, Ken, I’m sure.” Amelia told her sister annoyed, wanting to continue her praying.

Kennith nodded. “Good night!” she said, and she went to the barn.

It was a bit cold outside, but Kennith didn’t mind. She was used to it. She walked through the garden to the little barn. Just like she always did.

She made herself a cosy spot between the shovels and the potting soil, just as always.

Only them, something happened what didn’t happen every time.

A large crash came out of garden. The little girl looked at the barn’s door with wide eyes. Should she go out and check? She placed her hand on the rusty door knob, and opened the door carefully.

Only to see a large, wooden blue box, crashed into their garden. Aunt Sharon wouldn’t like that…

It was like the box had fallen out of the sky, like a space ship. Were there any aliens inside?

Kennith moved somewhat closer to the box, careful not to make a sound. Maybe the aliens weren’t friendly, although, the box seemed earth like, but old fashioned. Kennith reminded having seen one in her history book. What were they called? Police boxes. Why did a police box crash in their garden? Maybe had Santa finally heard Amelia’s prayers?

“Kennith?”

Kennith looked up, to see her older sister. She stared at Amelia for a moment, without an expression. Only because she had no idea what happened.

Then, suddenly, a head came perked up out of the police box. “Can I have an apple? All I can think about. Apples. Maybe I’m having a craving? That’s new, never had cravings before.”

The soaked man climbed out of the box, and sat on the edge, while looking back in it. “Whoa. Look at that.”

“Are you okay?” Amelia asked, while Kennith just looked at the weird man.

“Just had a fall. All the way down there, right to the library. Hell of a climb back up.” The ragged man said.

“You’re soaking wet.” Amelia noticed.

“I was in the swimming pool.” The man told her.

“You said you were in the library.” Kennith said, while she went to stand next to her sister. The wet man looked at her, and Kennith looked in his green eyes. “So was the swimming pool.” The man grinned.

“Are you a policeman?” Amelia asked. If he was, he was a very weird policeman.

“Why? Did you call a policeman?” The man asked.

“Did you come about the crack in our wall?” Kennith asked the man.

“What crack? Argh!” Kennith hurried to the man, when he fell to the ground.

“Are you all right?” She asked, while helping him up a bit. “No, I’m fine. It’s okay. This is all perfectly norm-” The man breath out a weird golden energy.

“Who are you?” Amelia asked.

“I don’t know yet. I’m still cooking. Does it scare you?” He asked.

“No, it just looks a bit weird.” Amelia answered.

“No, no, no. The crack in your wall. Does it scare you?”

Kennith nodded. “Yes.”

“Well then, no time to lose. I’m the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don’t ask stupid questions and don’t wander off.” The man told them. He stood up to walk to their house, and walked… straight into a tree.

“Are you all right?” Kennith asked, who hurried to his side again to help him up.

The Doctor nodded. “Early days. Steering’s a bit off.”