Salvatore

I went to the cafe today.

Not because I like to drink coffee or something, but I have a three-month-left-panic-deadline before my novel is released. The problem is, I can't think of anything. I already have an outline to make a love story, but it's hard to put it into a word when you have writer's block. 

Okay, I have a stupid idea. What if I write a story about a couple who fall in love in a cafe? Kinda cliche, I think, but at least I write something.

Tay Tawan, come on, wake up! Your deadline is in three months! 

Okay, let's find an idea from around the cafe.

When I look at the center of the cafe, the barista, I think his name is New, seems uncomfortable when a customer ordering. His expression looks terrible, but he forced himself to smile to serve the next customer.

Customer, please stop coming. At least please, not him. 

He isn't saying anything, but I can hear his voice from afar. It's weird, or maybe that isn't his voice. I looked around the cafe again. The last customer already left the cafe. There are only two people left; me and New. It's impossible to hear New's voice from here.

Maybe I'm hallucinating. The stress finally got me, huh?

While writing on my laptop, I can't stop wondering why he looks so uncomfortable? I mean, this is his job, his livelihood. If he doesn't want a customer to come, he can close the cafe. But instead, he keeps forcing a smile while moaning quietly.

Well, the world isn't kind as we think. I get it, New, I get it. If I'm as rich as Mark Zuckerberg right now, I don't have to be stuck on page one and being chased by a killer editor. Working is never a fun activity.

I'm looking at him again. Now he is sitting and playing with his phone. He is smiling, but this time is different. His bone cheek protruding, and pinkish color appears on his face when sunlight brightens the cafe. Seems like he just got a good news from whoever that person in his phone.

He closes the window and back to his phone. But now, he is frowning again. He just smiled like five seconds ago, but now his expression completely changes. What's going on with him? Is he okay? I'm genuinely concerned.

Suddenly New is looking at me. I was startled and pretending to type something on my laprop while actually I just randomly click asdfghjkl. 

Stop looking at me...

Wait, that voice again. Is that New's-

Kling-klong. A bell in the cafe's door is ringing. A customer, a man in mid 20's, comes in and sitting at the barista's bench.

"New, soy coffee latte, please. My usual order." said that man.

"Sure. But, don't stay here for too long." says New as he preparing the machine. 

"Why?"

"Just because."

Ow, ow. Who is he? That man looks fierce to be his boyfriend. He is wearing a full suit in broad daylight, even loafer shoes that look very polished. Who is in the right mind wearing this kind of outfit to a cafe? Maybe he is the mafia's son, and New is forced to date him? You know, like the famous KinnPorsche. 

Tay, stop making fanfic in your head. Come one, focus on your novel.

When I about to write a sentence in the first paragraph, New's voice ringing in my ear again.

I hate him. I hate him. Why is he coming here?

New is looking at that man with a vicious look. Seems like he really hates that man. If they don't know each other, New won't look at him with that much hate. Ah, this is what I like. The plot is getting thicker, Everyone. Prepare your popcorn.