1.

I dug into my pocket for a few seconds before pulling out a cigarette and a lighter. Placing my left hand over the cigarette I lit the end of the stick before resting it between my index and middle finger.

Lifting my hand to my mouth I took a long drag and blew out. I stood for a couple of minutes taking in and letting out drags of smoke, feeling the cool air against my face.

My long hair blew in the force of the wind- blowing into my face- blocking my vision of the small office building in front of me.

Crushing the cigarette beneath the weight of my boot I slowly walked across the street into the small building.

A bell sounded as I walked into the building; almost as if I was an intruder everyone looked my way. "Who is she?" I heard one woman whisper from the back.

"My name is Helena Talon, I'm the new writer for the Dear Jane section, my six month internship." Everyone sighed in relief as one woman who was wearing a turquoise blouse and a black pencil skirt walked my way.

"Hello Helena, I'm Quinn, why don't I show you around." Quinn seemed eager to get out of her uncomfortable looking chair and walk around. I could already tell she was one of the glass half full kind of people- always happy and optimistic.

I wouldn't consider myself pesimistic but with my experiences things just tend to go wrong.

"Alright so this is the main floor where most of the printing and editing goes on. You'll be on the writers floor which is level five." Her large brown eyes looked at me almost waiting for me to say something.

"Um. Thanks I guess." She nodded her head in agreement before she opened her mouth to add something else. "If you get lost Kim is the reseptionst up there and she can probably assist you." I thanked her before hitting the silver up call button.

The elevator dinged and I slid in. The inside smelled like old cheese and rotten milk, there were numerous stains covering the walls and the carpeted floor seemed to be coming undone.

"Great." I thought wondering how the fifth floor would look if the elevator was in such a shabby state.

The elevator came to a hault as it jolted downward a couple of inches. The silver doors opened and I walked out; it was eerily silent on the fifth floor, the only sounds I heard was that of a phone ringing and a computer typing.

I quickly located the reseptionst area and found myself walking toward the rounded desk.

Kim I presumed had the office phone balanced between her chin and shoulder as she tore through papers. "Alright Mr. Chin we will see on Thrusday at the meeting, okay goodbye now." Kim had a very narrow face with big soft eyes and a caring smile. Her voice was soft and angelic as she talked.

"How may I help you?" Kim asked looking up from her messy work station.

"I'm the new writer for the Dear Jane section. I think it was Quinn who told me to ask you if I had any questions." Her head perked up even more as she came out from behind the desk.

Pointing in the direction I just came from she led me to a small office room with a desk, computer, and an uncomfortable looking office chair.

"This will be your office. Now I know it's not much but I presume you will be able to make it work. Also if you need anything else you can ask me or Lou, he's next door, he does the sports reports." She opened the door wider and led me in- I thanked her for her assitance and she slowly walked off.

"I could get used to this." Was my only thought before I logged onto my computer and began to write out a format for my new article.