Chapter 19: Pretty Damn Close

The two medics were clustered around the small desk in the back of the infirmary. A Styrofoam cup of lukewarm coffee was resting in each of their hands. Their heads were pressed close as they whispered together.

Despite their hushed voices, Kitt could hear every word.

"She carried him close to five kilometers. With a knife wound, and head injuries!"

Their words were heavy with respect and awe. The story was already traveling through the camp and people couldn't believe it. The tale was already growing in exaggeration, some people said she even fought off wild dogs while carrying Teh.

The truth was almost as insane.

Kitt couldn't stop staring at the mottled bruising around Devon's neck. It was ugly and stark, contrasting with the white sheets and the hospital gown she was wearing. But more than that, it was what the bruise meant.

Devon had not only carried an injured Teh through the jungle, she had apparently fought for her life.

Kitt's fists clenched and he closed his eyes.

The medic had said Devon saved Teh's life. Her skills in the field and her determination to get him back to the camp had been the difference between life and death.

He reached forward and took her hand—it felt cold and limp. It was nothing like the hand he had held two nights ago. The hand that had brought him to life with every touch. He brought the hand to his lips and laid a lingering kiss on the back of it.

She probably didn't even want him holding it. The last time he had seen her she had been so angry. Her eyes had flashed with something more than hatred—a deep pain was hiding behind the anger, and that hurt worse than the things she called him. Kitt never wanted to hurt her. He felt like he would rather step in front of a Jeep than see that hurt in her eyes. All Devon had ever asked for was the truth and Kitt hadn't given it to her. It didn't matter that there was no malice behind his lie. A lie of omission is still a lie, right?

He swallowed and rested his forehead on her hand. It felt good to hold it. It was something tangible. Kitt needed to have something real in his hands, something to ground his emotions and prove that she was still in front of him. That she was safe.

Kitt opened his eyes and looked at her face. Even with the bruises and swelling, she was still beautiful. Maybe even more so. Those injuries were proof of her tenacity, and that was something that Kitt found attractive.

He didn't think he was in love with Devon. But he was pretty damn close.

Kitt's experience with love had been limited to what he could see. It always seemed like it would be abrupt and fast, like a car slamming on its brakes. Instead he had fallen slow. In the weeks she had been at the camp Devon had consumed his attention, and his heart. Kitt had been denying it, shying away from the truth. But when he saw her collapsed on the road, almost unrecognizable, inches away from unconsciousness and her only concern was Teh. It suddenly became clear.

He supposed he should have realized sooner. Kitt had hurt past girlfriends. His lack of attention and his indifference to their breakups had caused them confusion and tears. But it had never affected him the way Devon's pain did.

Only Kitt would realize he was finally interested in someone the day after she almost died.

He stayed like that for a long time. Never moving or eating. Not even when Chokh wandered in and insisted he eat or rest. He couldn't. Not knowing about Teh was bad enough, he had to be here for Devon. Even if she never spoke to him again. He had to be here.