Prologue

My Dearest Ember,

If your reading this it's too late. And I'm so sorry that you have to be enduring the pain I know you will be going through. But darling I truly believe it's for the best.

I remember thinking when I was younger how beautiful the fire underneath the burners under the stove was. And if maybe I could reach out and touch it, then maybe I too could be painted in red and blue. And so when my mother turned away I found how hot fire could burn and what it does to the skin on your fingertips.

Even then, I was not afraid of the heat. How could I be so afraid of something so...wonderful?

But then there was you. You whirled your way into my life, laying claim and burning away all I had built up. You were a firestorm stronger than I had ever seen. And suddenly the light under the burners seemed so cold compared to the light in your eyes. And I thought, again, foolishly how could I be afraid of something so wonderful?

And I forgot how it burns when you get too close to fire. But you didn't let me forget for long. Because your lips tasted of ash and your hair smelled like smoke and I should've been afraid; but then maybe I liked the slow burn under my skin and the way you trailed flames behind you, and maybe I liked the smoke slipping through my hands.

I didn't notice how my fingers started to turn black, how your lips sparked with every word you spoke. Or how everything had begun to turn dry and dead.

My mistake- I let you burn everything in your path.

Including me.

And maybe the skin under my fingernails won't ever be anything but charred, and maybe I'll never let go of the heat under my tongue. But fire won't ever be as beautiful as it once was under the burners of my mums stove.

But I realized that nobody had ever known me or loved me the way you do. And the small ember you sparked inside me soon created a wildfire that couldn't be stopped. But I loved it. Oh how I loved it. The heat and burn you created inside me. It was unlike anything I had ever felt before. And I thank you for that, baby.

Although I couldn't get enough of the heat and flames I soon realized, much too late, that our fire had burned everything around us. Our love became one giant raging flame. And nothing could put it out. And as the scorching flames danced and swirled around us I realized that we are fireproof.

I love you very much, my dear Ember and it pains me beyond anything to be writing this but we all must say our goodbyes eventually and I guess now it's mine.

All my love,
H