5: In danger

I spent a lot of time in Kevin's house. I got along really well with his mother and his little sister, in contrast to Kevin himself. I still didn't know what was going on with him and his mother, so I decided I'd ask her when she drank her coffee on an early morning.
'So I was wondering, why is it that Kevin's always so mean to you? Aren't you tired sometimes of all his comments?'
Eva didn't look up, like this trait that I always see at Kevin. Maybe this was a really stupid question because it seemed like she didn't want to talk about it. I was just to begin on another topic when she started speaking.
"Is it possible to hate your own child?"
I was in shock with this question. What could be going on between them that was so bad even Kevin's mother hated him?
"Or is it possible that my own child hates me?"
I thought for a second that Eva was crying, but I couldn't see her face because she was still staring at her cup of coffee.
"Kevin is... something else. From the minute he was born I thought there was something wrong with him because he just couldn't stop crying. Then when he was like 4 years old, he didn't speak with me. And believe me, I've tried everything. I even brought him to a psychologist. It just didn't work. Then when he became older he always did these weird things, just to annoy me. I just... I've always had the feeling that he hated me. I still have. That is why..."
Eva couldn't finish her sentence because Kevin was walking in.
"Hey there." He walked towards me and kissed me on the cheek before he spoke to his mother.
"Don't bother her anymore. Are you coming?"
I looked at Eva who was still looking at her coffee with her face down. I walked away with Kevin.

I didn't see Kevin at school for a couple of days. I used this 'free time' to catch up with my friends Chelsey and Marilyn. I convinced them to think Kevin was ' a little bit cute.' Later I've also met Leo, who was Marilyn's boyfriend. I thought he was nice and I could really laugh with him, that's why I didn't really notice Kevin was at school again. Leo wanted to tell me that he was behind me, but instead something really strange happened. Kevin didn't walked towards me to but instead he stood right in front of Leo.
"What are you doing with my girlfriend? Eh?"
"Easy dude, I have my own." Leo walked towards Marilyn to show Kevin that she was his girlfriend but he didn't get the change because Kevin punched him right in the face. I didn't believe my eyes. What the hell was he doing? I wanted to scream at him, and ask what he was thinking, but I couldn't get any sound out of my throat. Leo's friends were running towards him and then beat Kevin up all together. I screamed at them and run toward Kevin. The principal got between them and helped Kevin to get up. I hold his hand without even thinking about the fact that he was the one who started this and without even thinking about the fact that I lost all my friends after this.