Prologue

595 words.

"Niall James Horan, will you marry me?"

Woah, hold up. Let's back up a little. Yep, keep going aaaand stop right there. Here we go, we can resume now.

"Niall James, if you don't hurry up and get your ass downstairs right now, you're going to miss the SGSD test and will end up dying alone!" Niall's mother yelled upstairs to him.

"Jeez, ma I'm coming. No need to word it like that. Stupid whore." He said rudely stomping down the stairs.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd stop calling me that please." She said while putting her shoes on.

"Why? Because it's true? If you weren't such a whore you would've stopped after perfect Greg and wouldn't have to be dealing with me right now." He said being the rude kid he was.

"No, because it's rude and offensive and your dom won't like it if you use that sort of language around him." She scolded.

"Whatever, let's go ma." Niall grumpily said stomping to the door.

The drive to the testing centre was about thirty minutes in the car. Each country is required to have at least one per county and Niall was lucky enough to have one near where he lived in Ireland. The SGSD test or Standard Government Sub Dom test is the test that matches a sub and dom together. The test is a very long test that can last up to six hours and once completed the sub or dom will wait for a yellow envelope, which contains the results, to come through the door. In the envelope is the name of the dom or sub you got matched with and a date, time and place the two shall meet. The two can live countries apart and if that is what happens the dom in the relationship will travel to where the sub is, stay there for a while then take the sub home with them. Some people are unmatchable and well we don't talk about them. Anyways the drive was spent in silence so as soon as the two arrived they were more relieved than ever to be at the place.

"Hello my name is Caitlin how may I help you?" The girl at the front desk asked the two once they entered the building.

"Hi, um, I'm  Niall Horan. I'm here to take the SGSD test. This is my mother. Is there somewhere she could wait while I do it?" Niall said, trying to get the thing over and done with.

"Yeah, she can just wait here or go find something to do so she doesn't get bored. If you could just follow me please. The test is all set up and ready for you to do. If there is anything wrong, press the orange button, and I will be there as fast as possible. Also, don't miss any questions, as that could really affect your results. Good luck." Caitlin led him to a room with a computer and chair with no window for privacy reasons.

"Okay, thanks."

4 hours and 23 minutes later,

"Done?" Maura asked as soon as she saw Niall come back into the lobby.

"Well, yeah."

The drive back was exactly the same. Silent. You see, Niall and his mum have never really got on very well, so when they're alone together, it is awkward. It's very awkward. That is why Niall can't wait to move out and why Maura can't wait for him to move out, too. His dad is really the only one who wants him to stay.