Prologue

Dark night had approached. The moon was full and shining bright upon the small village of Astane. It was quiet there in Fell Wood, not a sound was heard through the trees. But not all was what it seemed. Amidst the foliage, evil intentions were stirring. Bloodlust was rising. The leaves rustled ominously.

"Quiet fools. Be still", silently ordered a voice.

The dark lord was getting impatient. He was still perplexed on why his master sent him and not one of his other servants. The thought of destroying this simple village bored him; he would rather stay in the stronghold. Perhaps the target was of great importance. But one who lives in this village seemed to be one of the small and powerless persons in the world. Still, he had his orders and he was bound to obey. It had to be done and it had to be done now. The time had come for him to do his sadistic task. Soon, the cries of death and the smell of blood filled the air. His orders were to give no quarter and leave none alive which he would gladly do.

But then, he and his orcs heard something move in the dense foliage. Twangs of bowstrings echoed in their ears. An orc fell peppered with arrows. Humans were persistent. They were now engaged with the rangers of the wood. However, the humans' numbers were not enough to defeat the dark lord. He grabbed and stabbed one through the heart. He then beheaded another. In the midst of his fun, he felt the sharp sting.

The sensation surprised him. He looked at his side. A boy. A simple boy. A simple boy who had managed to thrust an arrow into his side. He knew then and there that this was his target. He raised his blade and aimed to kill when another sword was deflected by his magic. The boy took the chance and ran. The black lord watched as his prey escaped him. He would have given chase if not for the rangers constantly trying to kill him.

Later that night, the whole village was under flame. The rangers were either dead or had run off.

'Did you get him?' asked a very silent voice.

'If you are asking about that child, then no...'

The wind blew against the dark lord's face. He stood there wondering...

Who was that child?