Chapter 13 - The Truth About Iredon

Faragon was walking… no, limping to Arvenron with Galoren by now. The others were behind them a few yards away. Faragon looked at Galoren and said, “Will you tell me now?”

Galoren responded, “Yes. The riders – or Sardun – want you dead or captured because you are a very dangerous threat to Morgodor. You hold the key to his defeat if so ever he resurrects. That is why you need to live, Faragon. That is why you wield the blade you have now.”

“Why is Iredon so special? It’s just a sword!”

“Iredon is no ordinary sword! A normal sword cannot even hold magical energy more so project it on its own. Only one sword can hold that: a legendary sword of the past. Iredon can provide and project magic, can sharpen and speed up reflexes and block and cut through any form of magic like it was butter. Even more, it has a mind of its own. Well, it is not technically sentient and capable of thought. It can respond to and give response to the thoughts of its owner. It is doing what it was forged and told to do by its former master.

“Remember when you first saw Iredon. It was embedded in a stone, was it not? I was commissioned to guard it. The stone was enchanted, Faragon. It would not allow anyone to draw out Iredon unless I break the spell or Iredon itself chose to break the spell. The latter happened to you, Faragon. The sword, bidden by its former master, felt your presence and knew that you were the one. It itself cut through the spell I cast and allowed itself to be pulled onto you.”

Faragon was overwhelmed by the information given by Galoren. “Iredon is a legendary sword and I was choosen under the bidding of Iredon’s former master. But what exactly is Iredon? Who was its last owner? And why me?”

“Faragon, Iredon was the sword which defeated Morgodor five hundred years ago. Iredon was once wielded by King Uthor of Arogath. Iredon is the new name… no, form of the legendary sword Dormon which has absorbed the power of the Adegan Orb. Why it chose you, I do not know but the sword knew that you are worthy. Now that Morgodor’s return is nearing, only Iredon can defeat him.”

Faragon dropped into silence. He felt burdened by his role. He was too weak, too insignificant to take on the task at hand. He was to defeat the darkest entity in history aside from Menphist. He grasped Iredon’s hilt tighter and complained in his mind. ‘Why me? King Uthor told you to find someone of note. There are thousands of persons worthier than I. Why not them?’

Galoren looked at him and said as if he read Faragon’s mind, “Iredon did not choose you for what you are. It chose you for what you will become. Indeed, you are now but a young man of twenty but you will be a hero to thousands of people in the free nations. You may be weak now but soon that will change as you become more proficient with the sword and its magic. I promise you, when we arrive in Goldensson, the elves and I will teach you.”

“Reassuring. But what if the sword cannot kill Morgodor now that his power will triple? Will the sword’s power be able to break him?”

“Faragon, you ask too many questions. You have an inquisitive nature, which is good, but if you continue to worry and ponder the inquiries your mind puts up, you’ll soon go insane. Trust me, I have seen many a scholar go that path.”

“Fine. Iredon can kill Morgodor. One last question though. How can Iredon’s magic bind the dark energies of the Crown? Is it a special type of magic?”

“I do not know, Faragon. Only Edoron himself can answer you. The type of magic he brought forth is still unknown. It is not one of the affinities, that we are certain.”

“Affinities?”

“Yes, affinities. Affinity is the type of magic that is used in a spell. Healing magic has a light affinity. Fire magic has a fire affinity and so on. I will tell you more in Goldensson.”

“Affinities are intriguing. What is your affinity, Galoren?”

“I have a light affinity. Kingsley has a water affinity, Eaglor has a fire affinity and Edoron had a crystal affinity. But the Adegan Orb holds all the affinities, making it the most powerful magical object wrought by the earthly races.”

“So Iredon, having absorbed the magic of the Orb, has all the affinities?”

“Yes. No more questions, Faragon. We are here. Now get inside the shield before anything else happens.”