Blue Skies

We all have bad days but we also have days that make us just want to fly, don't YA think?
___________________________
I looked up and gave the sky a smile.

'Clear... Blue... Good day to fly" I thought.

I crunched through the pine needles towards the tree's wide trunk - with a serious face and a thumping heart. I sat heavily and leaned against rough bark to retie a shoelace. With a pause to breathe in the warm mushroom scents rising from the ground. A shy smile crept.

'perfect flying conditions,' I thought

No one looked around to see Me tug the bulging backpack higher onto my narrow shoulders. They didn't watch me take a deep breath and shut my eyes for a moment before starting up the rusty nail stairs hammered into the old pine's trunk.

I climbed. I didn't hear the startled sobbing of a small boy who fell off the monkey bars just a few hundred metres away. I concentrated on each hand and each foot as i made my way up the tree. Carolyn watched, in her mind's eye, the graceful ducking and weaving of the pack on her back. She knew that her precious wings protruded slightly through the zip, but her chosen path meant they would not be marked or damaged as they brushed against wayward branches.

Carolyn had spent four solid days making the wings. The school holidays had been long and lonely. Making the wings was the best, and most difficult, idea she had ever had. Making the wings gave her a real purpose.

flying.

She was 18 years old but Tim knew a thing or two about building things.

Carolyn looked up. It was so far away, the top. But she wasn't tired, so that was fine. SHe had all day. Carolyn looked down, and quickly looked forwards as she held tighter to the tree trunk. Down was too far. SHe had climbed really far off the ground. It was probably as far as the roof of his house. Anyway, she wasn't scared. SHe was a good climber and she wouldn't fall.

Carolyn stopped thinking and stopped looking and started climbing again. One thing she was always good at, her teacher said, was concentrating. When she set his mind to it, Carolyn got things done.

Carolyn stopped near the top. SHe stopped when it was pretty thin and she could see out sideways but the branches were still strong enough to sit on while he got ready. SHe balanced herself with legs tucked around the tree and took off her pack.

Carolyn rested and had a mouthful of juice. SHe looked around her and almost fell.

'Wooaahhhhhh,' she thought. 'I never knew it was this high.'

SHe could see down all the streets around the park. SHe could even see her own house two full blocks away! This was going to be some story to tell at school. They probably wouldn't believe her.

Carolyn pulled out the wings and admired how they glistened and shone. They looked to her to be quivering, full of magic and ready to fly.

'I can't believe I made them so great myself.' Carolyn glowed, a huge smile overtaking her pale face. 'This is amazing.'

SHe concentrated again - it wasn't easy taping and tying the wings to her arms. Each arm had the extra security of a borrowed buckle-belt, which was frustratingly difficult to do up one-handed.

If anyone had looked through the branches to the top of the tree, they would have seen a small, thin girl perched awkwardly, her arms tangled in wood and card - her white painted wings. Inside her head, Carolyn was more magnificent than any bird. SHe was perfect, almost blinding. Carolyn imagined her face on the body of one of those painted angels. She looked like God's best angel - the main one.

Carolyn thought about which direction he would fly. She noticed the growing breeze and the sway of the tree.

'I'll fly with the wind,' she thought, relieved that the direction was away from his house. SHe didn't want Mom to look up and catch her Flying with the wind would be like a kite - easier. SHe'd probably be at the beach by the time he landed.

Caroyn felt a bit afraid, just for a moment. She breathed the fear out and breathed in a new top-of-the-trees air.

'Now!'

But she didn't do it. A rolling gust of wind put him off. Wait till the tree is still.

'Now!'

SHe took off, flapping hard - harder than she'd ever done anything before. Everything that was Carolyn was flapping herwings. It felt great to be winning against gravity, to be rising into the blue sky.

A child on a swing looked up at the scream and saw something like a small girl rolling and holding and falling fast through the branches of the pine tree. The swinging child held a sob and looked beyond the tree. He watched a jet stream grow wider and blur as its thin end rose higher into the blue sky.

------------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ any comments? What do you guys think????
Do you ever feel like flying? Just
wanting to feel free?