Rose-colored glasses

Okay, so I wanna start off by saying, duh this is inspired by Bojack horseman. Also for context, in this story, Chat knows that Mari is ladybug but she doesn't know who he is. Okay, go.

+=+=+

"What happened, Ladybug..." The wind blows his blonde hair as his feet dangle lazily off the rooftop. It went just how I thought it would didn't it... Things haven't been the same since he found out. At first, it was subtle, then it grew. Day by day, he changed. No more 'Bugaboo' or 'M'lady.' Instead I'm just... Ladybug.

"Same thing that always happens." I sigh. "You didn't know me, then you fell in love with me." My eyes make their way to the boy beside me, his green eyes are deep and unfamiliar. Where did he go? "And... Now you know me." My eyes trail back to the Paris horizon. The sun falling below the cityscape ahead of me. His body stays still, his gaze still fixed on the world in front of him, almost as if he was scared to look my way to see the true me sitting beside me.

"It's funny..." He mutters under his breath, pausing to look back over to me. "When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just seem like flags." Red flags... What did I do? Silence fills the air, but my thoughts couldn't have been louder.

"Red flags?" I manage to ask quietly.

"After all these years, I idolized you." He looks down into his lap, leather-covered hands resting on his legs in defeat, "But eventually it all fades. And when I found out who you were, I wanted it to come back more than you will ever realize, but it was gone. After I finally realized that I could have a chance, I had already thrown it all out of the window."

I sit for a moment. When he found out who I was, he wanted to be with me more? "How could finding the real me make you want to love me again?" I try to make out the look on his face as his eyes stay fixed on his hands in his lap, "Ladybug is perfect and I'm just... me."

"That's the thing..." He halts his words, wondering if he should continue, "Mari... I know you as a civilian, and I remember sitting in my room at night wondering how a girl like you would ever want to be my friend." He looks back up into my eyes, "You are clumsy, loud, and not the best in social situations."

"Gee thanks..."

"But you are also the most kind and brave girl I have ever met. And you don't need the mask to prove that to me."

"So... how did you fall out of love with me?"

"That's the thing... I never stopped loving you, but I won't let myself keep getting my hopes up like I have been all this time."

The air fills with silence once more, but it's no longer empty. Now it's a comfortable silence. A silence that I could sit in for a while. "I don't think I truly realized how much I loved you until you finally gave up on loving me."

His ears on the top of his costume perk up in surprise, "You loved me?"

"I still do, Chat."

I'm suddenly greeted by a pair of strong arms wrapping around me, pulling me into a tight embrace. He's warm, my head buries into his chest as his rests on top of mine. Nothing else had to be said. All we are are just two idiots who happened to be in love. And in this moment was the first time I truly realized that I really did love him, simply because I felt full, and nothing else seemed to matter.