Chapter 8; Family Affairs

(A/N - So sorry for the ridiculously late update on my fanfics - the streaming site I use to watch and use the fandoms shut down so I had to go buy the actual season 😐😑 they'll hopefully be much more frequent now 😅💕 so enjoy!)

"So... so Rumple's alive? I mean, how is that even possible?"

"We were hoping you might be able to tell us that," Emma replied, as Belle examined the thin gold strip of gold David had found. "You know him and this shop better than anyone. If he's in Storybrooke, there has to be a clue in here about how get got back or how we can find him now that he is."

"Yeah, I'll, uh... I'll start looking right away," Belle agreed, clearly taken aback by the situation.

"What about Pan? You're his brother, you must know something," Emma pointed out, but Peter shook his head.

"I've had no contact with him ever since I left for Neverland when he was just a boy. But there's bound to be clues here."

"Keep your eyes out for him too," David added. "If he comes into town, he'll-"

"He'll come to me. Yeah. I know."

Emma nodded, then looked expectantly up at Hook.

"I will stay here with you," Hook said reluctantly, "I'm surprisingly good at research."

"You will stay with me?"

"He'll protect you if the witch comes," Emma told her.

"You do know he tried to kill me."

"Well, there were extenuating circumstances," Hook justified.

"Twice."

"...Sorry?"

"You really know how to charm a girl, don't you?" Emma said with a roll of her eyes.

"This will be my way of making it up to you," Hook said, and Belle sighed.

"Fine."

"All right, we should really get out into the woods," Emma spoke up.

"Hey, maybe you should stay home," David said to Mary Margeret.

"Me? I'm the best tracker here."

"I know, but we'll manage. Remember what Zelena said. You need your rest."

Mary raised her hands in defeat as Emma thanked Belle before the group headed back out.

"I gotta go get breakfast for Henry," Emma told Elena. "Keep your phone on, okay?"

Elena nodded, and Emma rushed off, leaving Pan and Elena alone, wandering the streets of Storybrooke.

"You know, I'll never be a hero," Peter told her suddenly, his expression genuine. "Don't you?"

Elena nodded in understanding. "You don't need to be. You're doing great, Peter."

"I've been thinking about that witch's methods," he added in thought. "Those totems. My guess is she's making some sort of curse. Nowhere here is safe while she's still alive. And I want you to be able to protect yourself. And what's the best way to do that?"

"Magic," Elena said knowingly, "Yeah, I don't know much about it, but I've seen what it does to people."

"People who use it in the wrong ways," Pan corrected. "Emma should consider being trained in magic too. Not by me though. Regina might agree to it."

Elena nodded, processing his words. "Yeah, I could talk to her about it. I don't know about me though - isn't it hard?"

"Easier with practise," he said with a smirk.